SSBA
April 26, 2024, 08:14:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 NBA DRAFT: PHILADELPHIA 76ERS  (Read 1740 times)
SixersGM
GMs
GM

limpatj2 crazylyf@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« on: June 28, 2007, 11:34:20 PM »

12th Overall: Thaddeus Young

With Julian Wright and Al Thornton on the board, they opted to pick T.Young. Which is one of the reasons, along with not trading up, why alot of Sixers felt bad and was shocked with this selection. Sixers made a gamble and drafted T-Young, mostly because of his potential. Was he worth the gamble? For me, he is worth the gamble. When you look at the Sixers' roster, there is no one who possess "star potential" aside from Andre Iguodala. And with how the Sixers were playing after the Post-AI era, the sixers would most likely be an 8th seed and the chance of acquiring a potential "star player" is unlikely. T.Young with his 4.0GPA and his work ethic, I think, has convinced Tony DiLeo along with the sixers management that he can unleash that potential.

21st Overall: Jason Smith

Jason Smith is a guy who is projected to be higher than where he was drafted. Therefore, I consider him as a steal for the Sixers. Jason Smith possess good shooting touch, great athletic ability and quickness for his size. I like to think of him as a Rich Man's "Jeff Foster." He is a potential "double double" guy who could block shots from time to time. The question here is if he can translate his game from a weak competition in college to the NBA. I could see him to fill the void, Joe Smith left at the PF position.

30th Overall: Petteri Koponen

I don't have enough information from him. But what I do know is that he is a project. And with Tony DiLeo's track record, we know that he knows what he is doing. He is a 19 year old 6'4 PG who has good shooting touch and good passing ability. He kinda reminds me of Jiri Welch. I'd rather have Josh McRoberts, Glen Davis or Gabe Pruit, with this pick.

38th Overall: Kyrylo Fesenko

Kyrylo Fesenko is another international prospect. He is reported to have a 9'4 standing reach. If I'm not mistaken, that is only eight inches away from touching the rim. He is mobile for his position, unlike the other international big man prospects that was hyped before like Ha Seung Jin, Pavel Podblahblah and Peter John Ramos. I like this pick for the Sixers. If he can improve his game, I see him as a solid contributor for the Sixers.

My Opinion:

Billy King reported that he isn't keen on using all the four draft picks. Tony DiLeo also said that there is more than 50/50 chance that Sixers would move up via traing our picks. A rumor circulating with regards of the Sixers and their draft picks is trading the 6th and the 21st overall for Milwaukee's 6th pick. The Milwaukee Bucks made a surprising decision in drafting Yi Jian Lian. Yi is reported to have refused working out with the Bucks. And their GM, has yet to see Yi in action. The Philadelphia 76ers, on the other hand, has grown a fond interest in Yi Jian Lian. Billy King has traveled to china to see him play. I think that a trade will the bucks is not yet out of the picture. Although, I don't see it most likely to happen.

With regards on the picks, I can see a line-up of Andre Miller(PG), Andre Iguodala (SG), T.Young (SF), Jason Smith (PF), and Samuel Dalembert(C). All guys have length and speed and are top notch athlete at their respective position. If they can find a good chemistry and maybe with some player transactions, don't be surprise if the Sixers will make the play-offs next year.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:51:58 PM by SixersGM » Logged

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
Philly Basketball: Never Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:45:36 AM »

BTW, we traded the euros for Byars and Herbert Hill.

I think it's too early to tell anything about the success of the draft, but I really like what the picks say about how management feels about the direction of the team. Our two first rounders were used on guys who will take a few years to develop. If BK thought that we were a contender, I think he would have gone with Thornton. Even if T. Young turns out to be a bust, at least we are recognizing that we need to take our time and hope to land a star instead of an 'immediate impact' guy. I was a little disappointed with the pick at first, but I think it was the right move in the end, considering what was there.
Outside of the #12, I think the Sixers did a great job. Smith seems like a solid prospect, and addresses our weakness in the frontcourt. Byars was a great value pick, and I'm not really upset that we didn't stick with the Finnish guy. I know nothing about Herbert Hill.
I'm really happy that we didn't move up to take Hawes or Noah.

I'd give us a B/B+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: