SSBA
May 08, 2024, 08:56:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My thoughts on the Atlantic Division.  (Read 3791 times)
JazzGM-old2
old-gm's
Ast. Coach

View Profile Email
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »

Welcome to my article.  I usually fill my articles with data, spreadsheet sorts, and the like.  Today I just want to start a 4 part series where I look at each team in the league, detail some of their strengths and weaknesses, indicate where the team is headed, and even offer up some unsolicited advice.

Atlantic Division

Boston Celtics

Where are they now: Boston is off to a decent start of the season wth a 16-13 record good for the 8th best record in the East.  The Celts have an aging team with thier top performers all in their prime.

Rick Mahorn = 32
Raul Doleac = 34
Jeremy Munson = 34
Calvin Natt = 31
Marques Embry = 29
Cris Cho = 30

The Celts have thier own 1st rounder.

The Celts are near the Luxury tax, and do not project to have cap space in the next 2 offseasons.

By my estimation the Celts have little in young prospects that look to carry the team in the future.

Where are they going?

It appears nowhere fast.  The Celts are a team built to win now, but, seem to be lacking in enough talent to be a threat in the playoffs, in fact, just making the playoffs will be difficult.

With his core of veterans it'll be hard to lose enough games to get a top draft pick.

With his salary structure it'll be hard to sign a big free agent.

This team seems mired in mediocrity.  IMHO they need to go for broke and try to bring in a difference maker, or brake the team and rebuild.  Either route will be difficult.

Best advice - Hang onto your draft picks.  See if you can recover your 2029 1st in a trade before you start a rebuild.

Miami Heat

The Heat are sitting on a 8 and 17 record, 3rd worst in the Conference and 5th worst in the league.

The Heat are in full rebuild mode.  They are sitting at 46 million in pay and look to have significant cap space this offseason.

The Heat have all their own draft picks along with 2 additional 1sts vis teh Nets and the Rockets.

Glen Rice and Pooh Richardson are the nucleus for the future of this young team. 

My advice:  Get rid of Kersey's contract.  The cap room will be much more valuable.  Feel free us use teh Nets 1st as incentive.  Other than that, things look to be shaping up as a nice rebuild.  See you in 3 seasons.

New Jersey Nets

The Nets are sitting on a 21-11 record sitting atop the Atlantic Division.

The Nets have 3 star caliber players in Przybilla, Cummings, and Hardaway.  Przybilla and Hardaway are 24 and 23 respectively.  This team has a terrific core to build upon for a long time comeing.

The Nets are still looking for that man in the middle as evidenced by having 5 centers and 7 guys 6'11 or better on the squad.  Last years draft pick, Mobius Zollner seems to be struggling shooting .371 from the field.  Hopefully he'll develop into the player the Nets had hoped for when they drafted him #7 overall.

The Nets have the Supersonics 1st this year, which projects to be a much higher pick than their own pick would have been.  Quite possibly a lotto pick will be added to this deep squad.

The Nets are sitting on 70 million in salary and look to be needing some of that space to resign Dial next season. 

This team is looking good now (good record) and in the future (young stars and a possible lotto pick coming.  They also seem to have a good plan for salary.  A very well run squad.

My advice:  Go for broke.  You've got some nice trading chips, Wootten, Zollner, Dial, the Seattle pick.  See if you can throw those together for an Allstar center.  You won't get a guy 24 like your other core guys, but, getting a guy in the 29-31 range would make you a contender for the next 3-5 years.  And I think you could replace the depth you've lost quite easily.  Of course you could keep trying to keep one foot in building and one in contending if you like, but, that might just keep you from the brass ring.  I say, it's time to go all in.

New York Knicks

The Knicks are sitting on a 8-24 record.  Last in the Division and last in the league.

The Knicks do not have their own 1st rounder, however, they have 2 extra 1sts via the Supersonics and Hawks.

The Knicks are sitting on 67 million in cap and do not currently project to have cap room this offseason.

The Knicks have a lot of young talent on the team.  Recasner, Anderson, Hill, Owens, McCloud, and Maxwell look like a good base of young players for a successful franchise.  They've also got a couple vets in Bird and Cheeks who are at thei end of their career but still very talented.

I think they are just at the same time too young and too old. 

My advice:  I think you thought you were ready to compete, but, you jumped the gun.  It's time to correct that mistake.  Get whatever value you can for Bird and Cheeks and be mindful to try and keep your salary free as I think you can be a player in free agency next year if you watch what you do there.  I think with all your young talent and a stockpile of 1sts your team will be fine with time.  Players generally enter their prime around 26 or so.  That's a better time to try and start competing than around a team full of 22 year olds.  But, be happy, you have a bright future.

Orlando Magic

The Orllando Magic are currently sitting on a 15-15 record.  Good for 5th in the Division and 10th in the Conference.

The Magic possess their own 1st rounder.

The Magic are sitting on 68 million in salary.  They do not currently project ot have cap room of any note this offseason.

I think Don Nelson should coach this team.  All the players of any note are 6'6" or less.

Nick Anderson
Cedric Ceballos
Lee Johnson (ok, he's 6'll" but, I'm still including him at 205lbs. He can play center for Nellie)
Joe Dumars
Kevin Johnson
Andrew Gottlieb

That's a terrific 6 man rotation between SG and PG.  No doubt.  But, kinda lacking in the 3, 4, and 5 positions.

My advice:  I'd try and move Dumars and Robinson.  If you can get good young, large talent for them, that's fine.  If not, I'd settle for good first rounders and expiring contracts.  You'll free up some cap room, get some more talent, and maybe improve your own draft pick in the process.  You seriously need to have a plan at some point to balance this roster.  Taking BPA is usually a good idea, but, somewhere along the line you need someone to play the power positions.

Philadelphia 76ers

The Philadelphia 76ers are currently sitting on a 13-9 record, good for 2nd in the Division and 7th in the Conference.

The 6ers are spending 74 million this season.  They have traded off Massenburg's multiyear contract and other than  Karl Malone and Rod Strickland look to have little existing salary burdeon this offseason.

The 6ers have a nice one-two punch in Strickland to Malone and having Dr. J on the team never hurts.

My advice:  Just keep tweaking.  It looks like your team is playing well having good stats across the board.  You've got your salary in hand and plenty of future draft picks to work with.  A tweak here or there could take you from 7th in the Conference to 1st.

Washington Wizards

The Washington Wizards are sitting at 13-12 good for 4th in the Division and 9th in the Conference.

The Wiz are standing at 74 million in spending.  With Harper and Scott combining for almost 33 million next year there is little hope for cap space.

The Wiz have their own 1st and the Mavs 1st this offseason.  (Dallas is currently sitting below .500.)

The Wiz recently got a new GM.  I tried to deal with him but he wasn't buying my stink.  I think he's a sharp guy and will have this team either contending or rebuilding in no time.  As such, and being I don't know which direction he's taking this team, I offer no advice.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:22:34 PM by JazzGM » Logged
KnicksGM-old5
GMs
Ast. Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:24:45 PM »

Good stuff Jazz. I didn't trade for Bird to compete, though. I traded for him b/c he's expiring.

MavsGM
GMs
GM

brian841255
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:25:18 PM »

How about the midwest?

2018: Championship

Midwest Division Champ: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024, 3029.
Most playoffs appearances in the league with 23
WizardsGM-old3
old-gm's
Ast. Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »

Sweet article. I agree with what you've said; hopefully my team won't be in limbo for too much longer.

Str8westcoasta
GMs
GM

off_da_heesey@hotmail.com Str8westcoasta
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 04:20:35 AM »

Godd read young fella
BlazersGM
GMs
GM

50108573 maarinsito@hotmail.com MaarinX
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 08:38:03 AM »

Nice read. Do the rest >)

2019 SSBA CHAMPIONS
-----------------------------------------------
WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2015, 2019, 2030, 2031
PACIFIC DIVISION TITLE: 2017, 2019, 2024, 2030, 2031
GM Stats
SSBA Regular Season : 907-868
SSBA Playoffs : 76-68
SixersGM
GMs
GM

limpatj2 crazylyf@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 11:13:27 AM »

Philadelphia 76ers

The Philadelphia 76ers are currently sitting on a 13-9 record, good for 2nd in the Division and 7th in the Conference.

The 6ers are spending 74 million this season.  They have traded off Massenburg's multiyear contract and other than  Karl Malone and Rod Strickland look to have little existing salary burdeon this offseason.

The 6ers have a nice one-two punch in Strickland to Malone and having Dr. J on the team never hurts.

My advice:  Just keep tweaking.  It looks like your team is playing well having good stats across the board.  You've got your salary in hand and plenty of future draft picks to work with.  A tweak here or there could take you from 7th in the Conference to 1st.

I like to call it the BEASTern Conference. It's a conference composed of eight teams who are head to head and are good enough to win the championship. It's just a matter of who's better than the rest of the best. (kind of confusing LOL)

Dr.J at this point of his career, is more of our PR guy, he wears his mascot costume during halftime to attract the senior citizens who in attendance at wachovia center. Very Happy

And about our cap issue, it's mostly because I overpaid Tripucka and Erving to a one year deal. But I do believe that once this season is over, I'd do fine with my cap even with resigning Wooten and Rossow via team option or Bird years.

About your advice, I think that I need not tweak that much because I tend to overpay(note: not only in signing FAs) alot in trades. Instead, with my talented young team and with draft picks, my plan is to pan it out with drafting soundly and trusting on the promising true potentials of my core players of the team.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:15:08 AM by SixersGM » Logged

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
Philly Basketball: Never Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: