SSBA
May 11, 2024, 12:57:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential  (Read 6829 times)
OldNuggetsGM
old-gm's
Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 02:48:49 PM »

Quote from: NetsGM
Potential does drop with time, yes.

So what does that mean exactly?  Say a player with A potential improves this TC.  Does he keep his A potential next year?  Or do the improvements this TC then bring down his potential down to a B for next year (meaning, is there a set amount of improvement, and once that's exhausted, the potential decreases)?  

If he keeps his A potential, how long does that typically last for?  And when the potential drops, does it just go down from A to B and then down to C, or could it go from an A straight to a D?

Thanks.  I'm just trying to figure out how useful the potential indicator is, and what factor it should play in my evaluation of players.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 03:05:50 PM »

I can't really answer those questions because it's a case by case example.

First, you have to understand how potential works.  It's not truely an A-F scale, it's a 1-100 scale.  The number grades are then converted to a less specific grade.  1-20 is an F, 21-40 is a D, 41-60 is a C, 61-80 is a B and 81-100 is an A.

So that alone changes how much time in between changing of a letter grade.  A guy with an 82 potential won't have to tap into much of that potential before he falls to a B.  A guy with a 99 potential could spent numerous training camps improving before ever falling to a B.  Because of that, it's hard to say.

Second, there's the issue of scouted vs. real.  What you see on the website is scouted potential.  It sometimes varies from the players real potential.  If a player has an 83 scouted potential, but a 55 real potential, he could fall to a C within 1 training camp without ever improving.

Conversely, a player could have a D scouted potential, but truely have a 70 (B) real potential, and his potential could actually "increase" during a training camp (actually not increasing, just his scouted potential gets closer to his real potential).

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
OldNuggetsGM
old-gm's
Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 03:21:13 PM »

Thanks.  That actually did answer my questions.
ClippersGM-old
old-gm's
Coach

bramdm@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 06:18:07 PM »

Thanks Nets GM! That is by far the best explanation I have read about 'potential'. It is something that is very hard to figure out for us newbies. But this really helped.  Wink

Great example of a true dynasty!
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 01:44:07 AM »

People have been asking me how much I weight potential when ranking draftees.  Here's what I do.

Let's base this off of a 0-12 scale, 0 for an F, 12 for an A+.  Each increased increment is worth one point (for example, b is worth 8, b+ 9, a- 10, etc).  I won't weight any attributes to keep this simple.

So, would I convert an A potential to 11, then add 11 on to the players basketball skills stats?  No.  Why?  Because (outside of Giddens last year Wink ) there's never been a player in SSBA that's improved 11 rating scales.  It doesn't happen.  A person with C+ inside, C+ outside and C+ defense could have A-'s in all of those categories if it did.  If a player never improves that much when all is said and done, then adding straight potential to the socre would overvalue potential.

So what do I do?  Here's my formula.

I take a persons potential, divide it by 2, then subtract 1.  That's the number I think a player can OPTIMALLY improve.  Meaning that's what I think is the best case scenario.  Anything more than that would be extraordinary.

So, if I draft a player with A potential it would go like this.

11/2 = 5.5.  5.5-1 = 4.5.  So I would think, at best, he could improve 4 to 5 categories worth of attributes.  If I'm using his potential conservatively, I'd go for 2 or 3 increases.

for a player with b potential.
8/2 = 4.  4 - 1 =3.  So I'd figure in 3 attribute changes.

C:
5/2 = 2.5.  2.5 - 1 = 1.5.  Between 1 and 2 attribute changes.

Below C I figure he won't improve.

So, if I'm trying to determine whether to draft a player with D potential, or a player with A potential, if the player with A potentials ratings + 4 is still less than the player with D potentials ratings, there's no point in drafting the player with A potential.  He'll never be a better player.

Obviously, there are other things to take into consideration.  For example, if you need him to contribute now, the fact that he might be the better player 3 years down the road might not matter.  Also, all players might not reach optimum improvement.

Is my formula correct?  Honestly, I have no idea.  I don't have numerical evidence to support this.  It's just my guess.

Before this training camp I'm going to record everyone's ratings.  Then compare them to their post-tc ratings.  I'm going to calculate all the teams net improvements during tc, and I'll post which teams had the best and worst tc's.

I'll also figure out the mean and range of players improvements with A potential, B potential, and so forth.  So I know an average of what the improve, a min and a max.

I'll share with you the best/worst trainng camps.  However, you ain't getting your hands on my improvement data.  That's called competitive advantage biatches Wink

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2005, 08:31:43 AM »

Well. I downloaded everyone's ratings during the season.  And am just waiting until after TC to check changes.  But that leads me to a question.  Is there an easy way to get all players data without going to each team page individually?

And I glad to see that my guess fro potetial adjustments of +5 for A, +3 for B and +1 for C is in the same range as you use, Nets.  I tried using a formula that adjusted using a multiplier (1.1 for A, 1.05 for B, etc) but then it added more potetial to a player with higher base ratings than a player with lower ratings.  Although the potential improvement for each player could be identical.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2005, 10:44:04 AM »

Nope, there's no way to do it outside of going to each team page.

and I'd probably wait until after free agency to get all of the players attributes, since rosters are still changing.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2005, 10:55:27 AM »

I thought TC was after the 5 day free agency period.  My bad.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 11:35:59 AM »

it is after the 5 day free agency period.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
GoldenStateGM
GMs
GM

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 12:36:41 PM »

Sort of rated to potential....
Do players who are not on a roster (still free agents) at the end of the free agency period improve/decline during Training Camp?

The 2026 Golden State Warriors
The Youth Movement
C: Patrick O'Bryant - The Giant Irishman
PF : Shawn Kemp - Rebounding beast
SF : Michael Beasley - Rehab? Really?
SG : Batum or Rush - Who sucks less?
PG : Russel Westbrook - Combo guard or PG?
Pacific Division Leader : 2011, 2012, 2013, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2025, 2029
Western Conference Leader : 2011, 2012, 2013, 2020, 2022, 2029
Your Golden State Warriors, the 2013 SSBA Champions
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 01:11:04 PM »

I believe so, but i'm not positive.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
CavsGM
GMs
GM

ebball12289
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 03:17:23 PM »

If I remember correctly from previous seasons, I think they do.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: