SSBA
May 06, 2024, 01:48:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaq to the suns  (Read 3830 times)
PacersGM
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »

is this the craziest thing ever happen in the NBA?
can you imagine that steve will wait for shaq and play a halfcourt inside outside game, instead going for a quick layup or 3?
and they traded for shaq because the suns thinks he can help their defense? what a joke. shaq stopped playing defense several seasons ago. And Shaqs contract is even worse than marions. how can the suns justify trading several picks for nothing and now trade for shaq? i always thought that the owner has no clue but that is really crazy.
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 01:09:57 PM »

I believe the sole reasoning behind this trade is for the inevitable matchup with the Spurs in the playoffs. It allows them to stick Shaq on Duncan and Amare can basically roam free without having to guard anyone (Oberto, Elson, Horry, Bonner, dont really scare defences). It will keep Amare out of foul trouble (which has plagued him in the playoffs every season) and he can take over games offensively like he should.

I dont think the Suns wait for Shaq at all. I think he will be the outlet passer and if the Suns see shots they like, they take them. If they miss, or dont see anything, then Shaq should be there by that time.

The big issue for me is Shaq's injuries. Is it possible he wasnt that injured in the first place this year? We all know that going from a bad team to a great team seems to cure injuries quickly...

Shaq's contract is bad, but it expires the same year as Nash's. If Marion picks up his option for next year, than it will actually save the Suns money because Marion and Banks will make over 21mil next year and Shaq makes 20.

It looks like a real bad fit on paper, but I think it will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

2023 Midwest Division Champs - Nuggets
2023 Western Conference Champs - Nuggets
2024 SSBA Champs - Nuggets
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »

I don't really mind the trade for the Suns/Kerr (although I might be the only one.)
This gives them a cheap way out of having to spend the money to re-up Marion, appeasing the fans by making it look like they are taking a shot for a championship.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »

This gives them a cheap way out of having to spend the money to re-up Marion, appeasing the fans by making it look like they are taking a shot for a championship.

er....

Shaq's owed $40 million AFTER this year.  Not really a cheap way out.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

cheaper than max 5 years or w/e marion will be asking.

maybe Shaq retires before then, who knows?
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 02:37:27 PM »

They could have let Marion opt out this year, not re-signed him.  I have a hard time buying that the suns are going to pay $40 million just to save face.

I think this is just a mistake.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »

Marion has one more year at around $17 million.  Add in Banks at around $4 million.

2008/09:  Marion + Banks = $21 million;  Shaq $20 million  Suns save $1 million

2009/10:  Marion $12 million if he is lucky*.  Banks - in the NBDL.  Shaq $20 million.  Suns lose $8 million.

*- If any team offers Marion more than $12 million to start I would be greatly surprised.  That is the summer of free agent love: LBJ, Wade, Bosh (I think), Kobe and others.

The closest thing I saw to making any sense financially was the increased merchandise sales (get your Shaq jersey) and television revenues that the Suns would hope happens. 
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 04:15:05 PM »

Shaq won't play another season if he wins a title.
Shaq is just as done as possible, and he knows it himself. For whatever reason the Suns decided to give it a shot this season and let him call it a career afterwards.

So the money isn't an issue
I believe the possible playoff matchups made them believe they have a better shot with Shaq.

But can Diaw replace Marion, and regain last season's game?

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 04:33:46 PM »

Marion has one more year at around $17 million.  Add in Banks at around $4 million.

2009/10:  Marion $12 million if he is lucky*.  Banks - in the NBDL.  Shaq $20 million.  Suns lose $8 million.

*- If any team offers Marion more than $12 million to start I would be greatly surprised.  That is the summer of free agent love: LBJ, Wade, Bosh (I think), Kobe and others.

The closest thing I saw to making any sense financially was the increased merchandise sales (get your Shaq jersey) and television revenues that the Suns would hope happens. 

Um, why are you assuming a 1 year deal?
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »

I was just using the first year of a deal...to compare the cost with Shaq.  After 2 years Shaq will be retired.  Marion will still be playing...but he won't be making $17-20 million per.  He might be a franchise player in fantasy leagues but I don't see any GM considering Marion a franchise type player who deserves max money.  So unless Miami buys him out I don't see Marion opting out...or he will leave several million on the table. 

Shaq won't play another season if he wins a title.

Shaq has already been quoted as saying he won't give up any of the $40 million due him.  So even if the Suns win this year Shaq won't retire.  He will just keep laughing all the way to the bank.
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 10:35:02 PM »

I was just using the first year of a deal...to compare the cost with Shaq.  After 2 years Shaq will be retired.  Marion will still be playing...but he won't be making $17-20 million per.  He might be a franchise player in fantasy leagues but I don't see any GM considering Marion a franchise type player who deserves max money.  So unless Miami buys him out I don't see Marion opting out...or he will leave several million on the table. 

You have to compare the overall cost, imo. The bottom line.
SixersGM
GMs
GM

limpatj2 crazylyf@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »

I think the more logical reason is that, the suns did the deal to make their team more flexible for the play-offs.

If they were to match-up with teams like the gsw or the mavs, I think we'll see a line-up of Nash-Bell-Hill-Amare-Diaw. Which, IMO, is a team that can match-up well with good up tempo teams.

While, if the suns were to match-up with teams like the Spurs, jazz and the lakers. They can match-up well with this team with Shaq guarding the opposing elite PF/C player and this makes amare free from foul trouble. And get it busy on offense.

It's a big risk though. Because IMO, Marion is as important as Nash, in terms of their brand of basketball.

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
Philly Basketball: Never Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »

CB4 has a player option for 2010/11 that would pay him about 17.2. I doubt he goes anywhere in the 2010 offseason.

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »

CB4 has a player option for 2010/11 that would pay him about 17.2. I doubt he goes anywhere in the 2010 offseason.

I doubt he goes anywhere too, but he will still opt out. The reason those players got that provision is because they have to redo the CBA before that season, and they anticipate salaries and raises to be increased prior to that season.

2023 Midwest Division Champs - Nuggets
2023 Western Conference Champs - Nuggets
2024 SSBA Champs - Nuggets
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »

read this:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3243576

and I couldn't agree more. Shaq in the Valley of the Suns is PERFETTO !!!

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: