SSBA
May 06, 2024, 08:22:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A-MA-ZING  (Read 3964 times)
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:16:51 PM »

i don't know how many times Manning was just about finished, and somhow made play after play that counted.
finally a Superbowl that's worth staying up until 5am for ...

Usually I admire perfection, and the Patriots wer just about that for half a year now, but even more i respect a huge underdog coming through with a big game and EARNING the win. And the Pats didn't lose it, it was the Giants WINNING that trophy. Congrats from Austria !!!
 Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

(wow, never thougt I could EVER cheer for a big apple team ... as this would never happen with Yankees, Mets or Knicks)

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:30:39 PM »

booo that was too anti-climatic of a finish for me

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:51:17 PM »

I was hoping there was a way for both teams to lose....

I hate the Giants because they are a division rival and put out my team. And I hate the Patriots because I hate Belichek.

If I had to pick one, I am happy for Strahan to get a ring so he can retire now.

2023 Midwest Division Champs - Nuggets
2023 Western Conference Champs - Nuggets
2024 SSBA Champs - Nuggets
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 11:06:58 PM »

I spent pretty much the past two weeks trying to decide what team to root for.  For me, it was the lesser of two evils.

I grew up a closet Montana/Rice/Walsh fan.  I was always an eagles fan, but I admired that group.  They were part of the reason I started playing football, and what I hoped the Eagles would one day be.  so I didn't want the Patriots to win that 4th bowl, and I was sick of hearing about Brady/Moss.   I despise Moss.  I'm also not a Belichick fan (although I respect what he's done, obviously).    One of my best friends was Joe Robbie's nephew, so I also didn't want to see their record broken by this team.

Then again, I hate the Giants, and I'm sick of the media drooling over the Manning family.  Although I do like Steve Spagnuolo, who spent 8 years with the Eagles.

I guess for me I'm happy that the Patriots are not breaking the records of the teams I grew up idolizing, as I don't think Moss is worthy if being mentioned in Montana/Rice breath, and I like the Dolphis/49ers being a step up on the Pats.  I'm not happy having to put up with Giants fans for the next year, though.  Had Green Bay won it I'd have no reservations about how the playoffs turned out.

that's pretty much what I was hoping for.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:04:47 AM »

if certainly helps being so far away from the States - and from the NFL in general (*) - that you can more or less enjoy the game without much bias for either team. And from that viewpoint it was a wonderful game, one of the most entertaining Superbowls I've watched ever (**), with perfect execution (mostly of defensive plays), drama throughout the game with no team leading by more than 4, and a storybook ending with the the Pats perfection lasting until the final seconds of the season and Brady's last two passes closely missing ...

(*) of course it's different from the NBA, where I have a strong bias towards certain teams, but this one I follow closely, whereas for the NFL it's little more than noticing results until the playoffs (when we finally get TV coverage)

(**) and i've watched the last 20, starting in 1989 ...
Cool

NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »

It was definitely a very good super bowl.  The super bowl where the eagles lost was a good game.  But probably the best I can remember is the one in 2000 (Tennessee vs St. Louis)

Tom: I have to think you're kinda the exception to the rule.  Do many people over there follow the NFL at all?

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 08:27:40 AM »

yea, we have a handful of big Superbowl parties in larger hotels where you can watch (never attended any of those myself), and I usually have up to 10 people at my home to watch it.

Don't forget the Vienna Vikings from Austria are currently three time defending champion of the Eurobowl (*), so we do have quite a football culture here in Vienna.

(*) The European Football League EFL is the top tournament of european club teams on highest American Football level in Europe (http://www.eurobowl.info/)
(of course we had the NFL Europe league a couple of years back which faltered. No Austian team had been playing there)

HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »

+1. I hate them both.

It was a really good game though, very enjoyable. So it was as good of an outcome as you can get.
BlazersGM
GMs
GM

50108573 maarinsito@hotmail.com MaarinX
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »

I dont follow it much, but Belichick is croat heheh, so is Diehl. Interesting, we have a football league of 4 teams here Razz

2019 SSBA CHAMPIONS
-----------------------------------------------
WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2015, 2019, 2030, 2031
PACIFIC DIVISION TITLE: 2017, 2019, 2024, 2030, 2031
GM Stats
SSBA Regular Season : 907-868
SSBA Playoffs : 76-68
MavsGM
GMs
GM

brian841255
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 06:47:38 PM »

+1. I hate them both.

It was a really good game though, very enjoyable. So it was as good of an outcome as you can get.
The first three quarters was very boring but the fourth quarter and the finish was very exciting.

2018: Championship

Midwest Division Champ: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024, 3029.
Most playoffs appearances in the league with 23
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: