SSBA
May 19, 2024, 03:22:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Ten teams in Soccer World Cup  (Read 7471 times)
SixersGM
GMs
GM

limpatj2 crazylyf@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:05:53 AM »

I don't watch soccer. Can you guys give me your top 10 teams in Soccer World Cup? So I can have a few ideas about soccer. Very Happy

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
Philly Basketball: Never Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!
ClippersGM-old
old-gm's
Coach

bramdm@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 06:05:22 AM »

I can not put them in order of who is going to win it all. But I can give you my idea of who the big favorites are:
Argentina, Brasil, Tsjech Republic, Spain, Germany

Very good, but not big time favorites:
England, Portugal, France, Croatia, Sweden, Netherlands, , Italy

Good outsiders:
Ecuador, Mexico, Ghana, USA, Japan, South Korea

Ivory Coast, I find that a very good team. Too bad they are already out of competition as they were in a tough group and lost 2-1 to both Argentina and Netherlands.

Great example of a true dynasty!
BlazersGM
GMs
GM

50108573 maarinsito@hotmail.com MaarinX
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 09:12:59 AM »

Favourites:
Brasil, Croatia, England, Czech Republic

Behind Them:
Argentina, Spain, Netherlands, Mexcio

Minimum Chances:
Italy

Don't stand a single chance:
Sweden, France, Ecuador, South Korea, Ghana

Alcoholic Cheers

2019 SSBA CHAMPIONS
-----------------------------------------------
WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2015, 2019, 2030, 2031
PACIFIC DIVISION TITLE: 2017, 2019, 2024, 2030, 2031
GM Stats
SSBA Regular Season : 907-868
SSBA Playoffs : 76-68
ClippersGM-old
old-gm's
Coach

bramdm@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 02:49:23 PM »

Man, we may have to erase Czech Republic off of our lists. They got their asses kicked by Ghana today. Great game that was!

ClippersGM-old
old-gm's
Coach

bramdm@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 02:50:12 PM »

Oh and believe me... Argentina is with the favorites!!!

KingsGM-old
old-gm's
GM

Jebacu vam majku ak mi ne donesete naslov

ZLOVRO
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 03:06:08 PM »

Man, we may have to erase Czech Republic off of our lists. They got their asses kicked by Ghana today. Great game that was!

Unbelivable. They were just manhandled. And worst of all, now they probably have to win against Italy no less in order to advance further.

The Great ZLOVRO And The Local Whores:

Sleepy Floyd
Byron Scott
Andrew Toney
Orlando Woolridge
Tom Chambers
Thurl Bailey
Joe Carrol
Benoit Benjamin

"We don't defend, aren't great in scoring but boy can we turn over the ball"
ClippersGM-old
old-gm's
Coach

bramdm@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »

Unbelivable. They were just manhandled. And worst of all, now they probably have to win against Italy no less in order to advance further.

And in that case Italy may be out of the tournament when Ghana beats USA!

CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 05:55:05 PM »

great games today.

That Ghana-Czech Rep was a beauty and did show why fottoball can be so entertaining. Two teams playing offense, up and down all the time, without any break in the action. If Ghana wins 6-0 you could hardly argue, but Czechs also were just a few steps away from a goal sometimes. Pure entertainment, and boy did the Africans show some perfect ball handling.

And then the US showing more than just a sign of life against Italy. Too bad they couldn't get that 2nd goal to count, but they did show "german" spirit and fight and did prove why they are #5 ranked in the world currently.

A pity two of the four teams will be eliminated soon, but i hope the Italians go out, they play the most "boring" style ...
 Cool

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
BlazersGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 09:25:36 PM »

well to give my opinion.....Ghana's win wasnt a suprise for me.....actually i lost about dollar today (i could have win about 70 dollars) on betting today, i knew Ghana will upset Czech's, but my mistake was in putting USA winning my +1 margin over Italy (which could have happen).......1st round problem was that Czech's play good against teams like USA and Italy had and has always the formula for african teams, round 2 was a complete opposite, Czech's dont know how to play such style of soccer and i knew USA would either draw or win vs Italy but unfortunately they drew so i didnt get my money hehehee......there's always teams who play hard against other "school" of soccer (like for example south american vs. ex-communist Russian alike school......and dont get me wrong, ARG didnt trash YUG because of "magic", it was a thing that happens once in a history, and those guys have too many problems, probably if they played the next day another game it would end up with a draw, but there's many factors why they lost and i dont really care to discuss it here, im happy about it, but ARG wont get far, im sure about that)......now to not talk too much.......i really just hoped Italy and Croatia will advance and meet each other in 1/16....for the same reason i was talking about.....Italy just doesnt know how to play vs my country, after all we've played some 7 games, never lost....on the other hand, i wanted to skip Czech's because altough we just played once and it was a draw i believe my team would lose or maybe win in some crazy game after penalty's or something.....soccer today is very even and it depends a lot on a style and football school of the nation.......i'll just give a good example.....Mexico for example, in friendly and official games have beaten Brazil 4 times, drew 3 and lost just 1 in last 11 years, those that proof Mexico is better ??? not of course, but Brazil just doesnt know how to face their school, just like Italy losses every time to my country, and there's many examples........honestly i wish USA and Ghana could pass to next stage from that group, Ghana playing Brasil and USA Croatia as i think Croatia would have a much tougher task vs Ghana then USA, and Brasil vice-versa as well, Brasil had problems with USA style always......now i just hope Croatia gets Italy...........and ill stop talking now 'cause i got tired of writing  Laughing

2019 SSBA CHAMPIONS
GM Stats
BlazersGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 09:26:53 PM »

i hope the Italians go out, they play the most "boring" style ...
 Cool

They'll get out vs Croatia in next round if they meet, count on that Smile

2019 SSBA CHAMPIONS
GM Stats
SixersGM
GMs
GM

limpatj2 crazylyf@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 11:30:38 PM »

Manchester United is a famous team. Are they really that good? Did the team joined the tournament?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 01:56:10 AM by SixersGM » Logged

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
Philly Basketball: Never Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 01:45:49 AM »

Man U is a famous team. Until 3 years ago they even were a very good team too.

CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 02:31:47 AM »

... there's always teams who play hard against other "school" of soccer (like for example south american vs. ex-communist Russian alike school......and dont get me wrong, ARG didnt trash YUG because of "magic", it was a thing that happens once in a history, and those guys have too many problems, probably if they played the next day another game it would end up with a draw, but there's many factors why they lost and i dont really care to discuss it here, im happy about it, but ARG wont get far, im sure about that
Well my friend, forget that hope. Argentina would beat S&M 8 out of 10 times, simply being the better team, by far. Not 6-0, true, but that score was a mentality problem (you think being close in skills is enough and lay down when things get ugly).

All this "history lesson" you gave us doesn't mean too much in this tournament. We soon enter single game elimination stage and EVERYTHING can happen there. This is soccer after all. Take the last world cup. You think South Korea would win a best-of-5 aginst Italy, Spain? Hey they were playing on pure emotion and beat far superior teams.

Sure, Mexico can beat Brasil, Italy can beat Croatia and Trinidad & Tobago can beat Sweden or England in a penalty shootout. But don't count on either to happen.

Finally, that Croatia showing against Brazil was fun to watch while it lasted. But there's a reason why everyone internationally was disappointed: The south americans played on cruise control, never NEEDED to shift into 2nd gear. They led the ONLY other competitor in their group 1-0 and simply played out the game, not breaking too much of a sweat. Nice "morale victory" for the Croats but believing they actually could have won, nah ...
 Lol 2

ClippersGM-old
old-gm's
Coach

bramdm@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 05:16:50 AM »

I agree with Tom, not so much with Blazersgm. Btw, Blazers, how come you KNOW everthing, but you tell us AFTER the game. You could also say, I thought or I did believe...

About that group E, where you want both USA and Ghana to advance to the next round. That is impossible. It will be either one of them, or none of them, depending on Thursdays games.

CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 07:16:10 AM »

Favourites:
Brasil, Croatia, England, Czech Republic

Behind Them:
Argentina, Spain, Netherlands, Mexcio

Minimum Chances:
Italy

Don't stand a single chance:
Sweden, France, Ecuador, South Korea, Ghana

Alcoholic Cheers
Guess after a few more matches we can safely move Ghana to "behind them" status. No, i see that the Czech miss one of their offensive centerpieces without Koller but the way one of the best European teams (technique, game-play) was outplayed convinced me.

France, btw, is ALWAYS good for a deep run. Croatia a FAVOURITE? Didn't they lose to a team playing on cruise control? No, they are still "behind them" until proven otherwise. Also remove the Czech from there, no fav gets embarrassed like that.

For the "no chance (at a title)" collection: how about Costa Rica, Iran, Tunesia, Saudi Arabia, Togo, my beloved Trinidad, S&M, Japan, Australia (please ...), Ecuador, Paraguay, and sure a few others i forgot to mention now. Everyone else HAS a chance, in this type of tournament (just look up Germany 2002 & Argentinia 1990, the all-time suckiest teams making it to the finals) ...
 Cool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: