SSBA
May 18, 2024, 03:30:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Draft Preview Up  (Read 16532 times)
NetsGM
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 03:53:36 PM »

If you want to win a championship, go with old geezers. The Pacers are proving the effectiveness of that strategy right now, as are the Celts. Blazers did it last last year with Yao and a shell of a team. Ivan has a point, insofar as the point he is making is that the drafts have been weak.

EXACTLY!

I've said the very same thing numerous times. Look at the conf leading teams! Pacers led by Lebron, Mavs have Emeka and Blazers won the title last year cause of 35 year old Yao Ming!! Is that a coincidence? Isn't that a shame? What kind of a league is that when the main players are 35 year olds? Where is the next generation?! Seriously, Pacers don't get me wrong, but this team of yours wouldn't have made the playoffs 7-8 years ago, let alone dominating. Nor would the Blazers won the title, no way! There's a huge, huge decline as far as overall quaility of the league is concerned, the entire league looks like a gigantic Eastern conference of the real NBA and as far as i'm concerned only a blind man can't see that. And that's all beacuse 90% of the drafties during the last 6-7 years have no impact on the game and are total underachievers.

For example, i'll single out some teams i think that made pretty good job at rebuilding and should be, at least to this point, respectable or even dominating teams;

Forgive me if i forgot someone but here are the five teams;

Knicks - done a pretty good job, really a nice core, on paper at least
Clippers - same
Nuggets - Buck, Gminksi (now Mchale), Kersey etc, good job.
Sixers - Had high draft picks in DrJ, Agguire, Nance etc (i'm probably forgoting someone), done everything he could.
Kings - as i said, all of my starting lineup were a top 5 picks bla bla bla

ALL FIVE teams are well below .50!!

Now, are we all incompetent GM's? Did we pick the wrong guys? Are we uncapable to find the right settings? NO! The answer is very simple - top prospects just sucks and they're not what they were supposed to be. From Magic, Bird, Larry Nance to DrJ, Lassale Thomspon, Mchale, Carrol and Isiah Thomas. NONE of this guy is capable of putting his team on the shoulder and make their teams at least respectable or to lead them to the playoffs. And don't give me that "you got to have a team" bullshit. Kobe led that sorry ass Lakers team to the playoff, in the West! Iverson was doing the same thing for years in Philly, KG in Minnesota, Carter & Kidd + bunch of total no namers were like a top 4 seeds in the East 2 years ago, besides Yao & Mcgrady Houston is total garbage and are like a top 4 teams in the West and so on. And if we talk about sim world, hell, i won 50 games with Danny Fortson and Brad Miller, 2 terrible defenders just beacuse Mcgrady was THAT good. So who is the next Mcgrady in this league?
As soon as I saw that you failed to mention the Nets - with our later lotto picks, save for McHale - I tuned out the rest.  Moon
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 03:58:07 PM »

I had the best record in the league last season with 6 of my top 7 being real players from these past drafts.  Mike Evans, Ron Brewer, George Johnson, Cliff Robinson, Bill Laimbeer (all starters) then Darko real but not from drafts.  Sure we made an early exit but that was the first time those guys had a real taste of the playoffs.  I don't see a problem with the leagues talent level.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 04:08:06 PM »

I had the best record in the league last season with 6 of my top 7 being real players from these past drafts.  Mike Evans, Ron Brewer, George Johnson, Cliff Robinson, Bill Laimbeer (all starters) then Darko real but not from drafts.  Sure we made an early exit but that was the first time those guys had a real taste of the playoffs.  I don't see a problem with the leagues talent level.

Not to mention the GoldenState Warriors sporting all fictional players.  Sure, there's Barton O'Connell, who's a vet.  But people complained about him when he first came into the league as well.  He was in a "bad draft class" at the time, but now he's "an old guy who we can't replace with the new classes".

See the hypocrisy?  See the error?

Then, he's got impact players in Don Collins and Phil Hubbard who are still on their rookie contracts.

We could go into the 25-16 Nets, The Hawks, or any of the other teams led by "fake" players who came in from "bad" draft classes, but it won't matter.  Some people only see what they want to see, and as I said before only want to deflect blame from their inability to build a contender.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
KingsGM-old
old-gm's
GM

Jebacu vam majku ak mi ne donesete naslov

ZLOVRO
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »

oh for crying out loud if you hate it so much just quit!

Who the fuck are you to tell me what to do?

The Great ZLOVRO And The Local Whores:

Sleepy Floyd
Byron Scott
Andrew Toney
Orlando Woolridge
Tom Chambers
Thurl Bailey
Joe Carrol
Benoit Benjamin

"We don't defend, aren't great in scoring but boy can we turn over the ball"
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 04:13:05 PM »

IMO, the better teams from years past would absolutely mangle top teams in the current league, with perhaps the exception of the Pacers. It would be fun to edit in, say, my 2010 or 2011 team and see what they did in this league.
Still, I suppose it's all relative.
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 04:16:06 PM »

i don't think it's as much inability (to build a contender) as it's ignorance.

Nobody can build a winner with offense only, yet he tries. And the ignorance comes from his truly believe, any team with Larry Bird and Earvin Johnson HAS TO rule the league, just because of their names.

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
KingsGM-old
old-gm's
GM

ZLOVRO
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »

IMO, the better teams from years past would absolutely mangle top teams in the current league

You don't have to think my friend. That would be a crime against humanity. Laughing

Ah, good ol days, when we had this thing called rivarly. Hornets vs the Pacers, Nets vs Hornets, Raps vs Nets, Kings vs Warriors, Mavs vs Jazz...Now...shit, we got nothing, not a single rivarly! Laughing

Sleepy Floyd
Byron Scott
Andrew Toney
Orlando Woolridge
Tom Chambers
Thurl Bailey
Joe Carrol
Benoit Benjamin

NetsGM
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 04:34:28 PM »

IMO, the better teams from years past would absolutely mangle top teams in the current league

You don't have to think my friend. That would be a crime against humanity. Laughing

Ah, good ol days, when we had this thing called rivarly. Hornets vs the Pacers, Nets vs Hornets, Raps vs Nets, Kings vs Warriors, Mavs vs Jazz...Now...shit, we got nothing, not a single rivarly! Laughing
Well, there is "Kings versus the World"!
KingsGM-old
old-gm's
GM

ZLOVRO
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 04:43:04 PM »

Well, there is "Kings versus the World"!

Haha...Well we got to have some rivarly going on, don't we? Laughing

Sleepy Floyd
Byron Scott
Andrew Toney
Orlando Woolridge
Tom Chambers
Thurl Bailey
Joe Carrol
Benoit Benjamin

KnicksGM-old4
old-gm's
Ast. Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »

I actually enjoy reading these pissing matches..  Thumbs Up

2 basic keys to a good record in FBB, as far as I can tell: at least A- D for your bigs with a unrealistic focus on shotblocking, and a low TO PG. The Knicks have pretty good defensive players everywhere except at the 5, giving up lots of FTAs and a high oFG% as a result.

That said, Isaiah is available!  Laughing No, he's just going to move to SG when Wade retires.
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »

oh for crying out loud if you hate it so much just quit!

Who the fuck are you to tell me what to do?

Well you have been doing nothing but arguing, whining and complaining about virtually every aspect of the league since I entered around 4 seasons ago, so why are you still here if you loathe it so much? (my money is on Tom, who doesnt love the guy LOL)

2023 Midwest Division Champs - Nuggets
2023 Western Conference Champs - Nuggets
2024 SSBA Champs - Nuggets
GoldenStateGM
GMs
GM

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2007, 04:53:22 PM »

Well, if you would catch up, we could have our rivalry all over again. 
The lightning fast 5'11" Barton O'Connel vs. the 6'8" Magic Johnson...  Those would be fun battles to watch.
Tyson Thurmond blocking Bill Cartwright's shot, and yelling "Not in my house!!!"
The "Turnstile" Purvis Short, try to guard "Mad" Max...
And Don Collins with a crossover, and a smooth as silk jumper over Larry Bird, who is so impressed by Don's offensive skills that he whispers "And they call me a legend..."

The 2026 Golden State Warriors
The Youth Movement
C: Patrick O'Bryant - The Giant Irishman
PF : Shawn Kemp - Rebounding beast
SF : Michael Beasley - Rehab? Really?
SG : Batum or Rush - Who sucks less?
PG : Russel Westbrook - Combo guard or PG?
Pacific Division Leader : 2011, 2012, 2013, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2025, 2029
Western Conference Leader : 2011, 2012, 2013, 2020, 2022, 2029
Your Golden State Warriors, the 2013 SSBA Champions
BlazersGM
GMs
GM

50108573 maarinsito@hotmail.com MaarinX
View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2007, 09:01:21 PM »

Holly guacamole, so many great guys in this draft, hopefully ill be able to land one of TOPs to guide my team in future, it would be a perfect start of our rebuilding process.

2019 SSBA CHAMPIONS
-----------------------------------------------
WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2015, 2019, 2030, 2031
PACIFIC DIVISION TITLE: 2017, 2019, 2024, 2030, 2031
GM Stats
SSBA Regular Season : 907-868
SSBA Playoffs : 76-68
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: