SSBA
May 19, 2024, 04:40:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Mock Draft  (Read 3220 times)
CavsGM
GMs
GM

ebball12289
View Profile Email
« on: June 20, 2005, 07:52:22 PM »

I'm bored here, so I figured why not do a mock draft. But the Warriors pick just keeps dropping... Evil or Very Mad

1) SG/PG Patrick Gatling - In the mold of the next Iverson, Gatling could end up being unstoppable offensively if his potential holds true. It appears that he will be capable of putting up 15 PPG next season, easily. If his ratings can improve, expect even more. However, it is still unknown as to which postion will be better suited for him.

2) PG Gregory Schabinger - Other then his very nice handles, Schabinger is rather weak in all of the other areas. In order for him to become a great PG, he will need either his defense or outside shooting to get a big boost from that A potential. It is a toss-up as to whether he or Gatling will be picked first overall.

3) PG Andy Miles - Very similar to Schabinger. He is an excellent ball-handler, but needs to improve in the other areas of his game. Could possibly even be selected ahead of his PG counterpart, but that's not likely. He may even slip out of the top five. It all depends on the draft order.

4) PF/SF Shane Nesterovich - An Oscar Ferry type pick(although not even close to the talent level, obviously). Nesterovich seems to be ready to contribute right away. A veteran of this draft class, at 23 years old, he is a very solid offensive player and defender. It's his D potential that might scare teams away, and cause him to slip in the draft.

5) PF George Boykins - He could easily be taken higher, ahead of Nesterovich, because of his intriguing A potential. With GMs dreaming of the possible A-/A-/B ratings in inside/defense/rebounding, a top 3 pick for Earl's adopted brother is a real possiblity. At worst, he will be a 15/9 player, which is not bad at all.

6) PG Garrett Ward - Ward is like Eric Snow of real life. A steady ball-handler and good defender, but cannot be relied on to score. With his B potential, though, do not be surprised if there is a big improvement in his ratings. My call for the sleeper of the draft. But if he is taken this high, he would not be a sleeper pick, of course.

7) SF/SG Chase Russell - The big swingman with A potential is a lock for a top 10 pick. He has nice handles, and with some help in training camp could be a great outside shooter. If his defense can improve, he will great overall player and starter. It's all up to his potential.

8 ) PF/SF Ivan Strong - If taken higher and his potential isn't true, then he could be a big time bust. However, if he can blossom in training camp, watch out. B+, B+ offense is certainly possible, but his defense is really ugly. Just don't expect too much, because disappointments are always lurking...

9) C Jim Finley - He will never be an offensive threat, but this guy is huge, and has great defense already. He could end up being A, B on defense and rebounding. And if his offense can just improve a little bit, he will be a great center.

10) SG Kareem Longley - Longley is a SG with good size and B potential. If his potential holds true, he could end up being a very good offensive player and defender. Most likely will be a top 10 pick.

11) SG/SF Ernest Profit - Just like Phillip Meyers of two drafts ago, but bigger. Profit will be a deadly outside shooter, and if he can go up in defense, will be a very nice starter. If not though, he will not have much else to offer.

12) PG Alvin Zollner - Zollner is a future lockdown defender, with B potential to go along with it. His only main weakness is that he can't handle the ball, which is a huge problem at PG. If he can get that up to a C+ and his outside shooting up to a B+, I'd say that he can succeed as a starter in this league.

13) SG Micah Hunter - If only his defense were higher, or his potential. B, B offense is just awesome, but C defense doesn't cut it. The D potential doesn't help, either. Regardless of all of that, his offense alone may be enough to sneak him into the lottery.

14) C Ethan Fletcher - Fletch is a wide body with a decent all around game and B potential. If all turns out well, he could end up being a bigger version of Emmanuel Griffin. At worst, he'll be a solid backup PF/C.

15) Quincy Peters - Arguably the best SF in the draft, but Russell may be taken significantly higher. Peters is a big SF with decent handles and offensive game. Could turn out to be a very nice player if he can improve in training camp.
SonicsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 04:18:03 AM »

Quote from: CavsGM

8 ) PF/SF Ivan Strong - If taken higher and his potential isn't true, then he could be a big time bust. However, if he can blossom in training camp, watch out. B+, B+ offense is certainly possible, but his defense is really ugly. Just don't expect too much, because disappointments are always lurking...

It looks to me like somebody secretly is hoping for a certain player to fall to him.

Oh yeah, and by the way, an offensive-minded SF/PF would look pretty good on that Cavaliers roster.  Don't you think?
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:08:59 AM »

I completely agree with the Sonics:
Strong would definitely be my #1 pick if I still had the first!

Ahead of Gatling, Miles, Schabi and Kareem Longley (who is mysteriously absent from this list and whom I see as the 2nd best SG this draft).

Rolling Eyes

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
PacersGM
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 06:50:23 AM »

Quote from: CelticsGM

Ahead of Gatling, Miles, Schabi and Kareem Longley (who is mysteriously absent from this list and whom I see as the 2nd best SG this draft).

Rolling Eyes

strong is in my chart not even the best PF so why should someone take him first is a mystery to me. but he will be a top 5 pick no question.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 07:30:54 AM »

Yeah, I think Boykins is clearly the #1 PF.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 07:35:21 AM »

Quote from: PacersGM

Strong is in my chart not even the best PF so why should someone take him first is a mystery to me. but he will be a top 5 pick no question.

Valid point with Boykins and Nesterovic probably closely ahead, but I think after a TC any of these 3 could top the PF position.

So the selection is probably a team need thing more than anything else.

(Thankfully?) I'm not in the position to make (and probably fail at) the selection for the top pick any longer. But with this being a tremendously deep draft I'm sure that some steals will end up near the bottom fo the first round as well.

CavsGM
GMs
GM

ebball12289
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 09:22:00 AM »

Quote from: CelticsGM

Rolling Eyes

I thought I had Longley in there, I guess I missed him. As for Strong, IMO this is where he should be taken. You seriously would select him #1? And I'm not secretly hoping for anyone. If a player will fall to me, he'll fall to me. I wouldn't do this mock draft otherwise.
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 10:08:09 AM »

I thought I had Longley in there, I guess I missed him. As for Strong, IMO this is where he should be taken. You seriously would select him #1? And I'm not secretly hoping for anyone. If a player will fall to me, he'll fall to me. I wouldn't do this mock draft otherwise.

If I search for a scoring PF I would look at him or Boykins (as Nesterovic' potential is probably too much of a risk - especially if you use Bods' great formula for predicting development).

Besides Boykins being clearly a better defender now, with Strong I like the slightly better frame, handling and especially ouside shooting which will translate into a lot of more FT's made - and I expect a primary offensive PF to shoot A LOT from the charity stripe !

But being a Rookie GM I might miss something here being obvious to everyone else - if so, tell me  Shocked

CavsGM
GMs
GM

ebball12289
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 12:16:16 PM »

I just don't see Strong as being worthy of getting taken with the first pick in the draft. Usually you'd go with the best player out there, and I don't think that will be Strong.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 12:21:35 PM »

Strong could end up being a top 10 scorer in the leauge.  He could end up being a dirk offensively.

But without any better defense, he'll never be better than a Peja.  And that's if his defense improves a TON.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 12:55:47 PM »

Maybe I'll be able to get high enough to get Longley. I'd like that.

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 01:29:04 PM »

Later tonight I'm going to do a bit on what I think the top 10 players from the 2005 NBA Entry draft would have (ratings wise) to see whether our drafts are close or not.

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
GoldenStateGM
GMs
GM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 04:52:07 PM »

Nice job on the analysis...  I would say I am sorry about my pick dropping, but I am not   Razz

I think Boykins could be something really good. He is very similiar to Emmanuel Griffin of the first draft (lesser rebounder and ball handler, better outside shooter)  And Griffin has been very good for the Bulls.

Jim Finley has every chance to get to what Tanner is now, which would be pretty good.  7'1" 300 lb good defenders with a potential do not come round every day, and he is only 18 years old.

The 2026 Golden State Warriors
The Youth Movement
C: Patrick O'Bryant - The Giant Irishman
PF : Shawn Kemp - Rebounding beast
SF : Michael Beasley - Rehab? Really?
SG : Batum or Rush - Who sucks less?
PG : Russel Westbrook - Combo guard or PG?
Pacific Division Leader : 2011, 2012, 2013, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2025, 2029
Western Conference Leader : 2011, 2012, 2013, 2020, 2022, 2029
Your Golden State Warriors, the 2013 SSBA Champions
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: