SSBA
May 10, 2024, 01:37:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd round picks  (Read 6060 times)
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »

The incentive is that you are given the option to obtain 3 Bird years for the player you worked hard to find. No one else has that option. The $300 cost of exercising the option isn't enough to deter a GM from perusing the 2nd round for a decent player (the crappiness of the players in the 2nd round is the cause of that).

I think one of the points raised when we first discussed this was that an option year would result in early 2nd round picks becoming more valuable than late first round picks -- a result we wanted to avoid.

Now -- would I mind seeing a decrease in the price of exercising an option? No...
CavsGM
GMs
GM

ebball12289
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »

I really don't know what you're looking for here. With that option, you will then be capable of making an offer starting at 4.5 million for up to 6 years with 10% increases. For a second round draft pick after only two seasons, that offer will never be beat. Never has(not that I know of), never will. Guys at BJ Armstrong's level can be had after FA day 5 for the minimum. And even after another training camp with some improvement, he still won't deserve anything more than the MLE(or even the MLE at all)

And as it has been mentioned, by using your money you can also extend the contract to three years, giving you bird rights.

The lack of "incentive" isn't in the system, it is in the quality(or lack thereof) in the players.
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »

if you believe the early 2nd round has less value than the end of the first round you obviously didn't watch recent seasons ... busts on 4yr deals getting easily outplayed by studs making 332k.

but wizards, wasn't there that problem with the NBA Warriors and agent zero as well ?
and if so, well we're following the NBA rules here as close as possible, so ...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:18:23 PM by CelticsGM » Logged

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »

if you believe the 2nd round has less value than the end of the first round you obviously don't watch recent seasons ... or have no clue at all.

I'm sorry, was this addressed to me? If it was, then I can't see how this adds much to the conversation other than a snide aside.
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »

not at all.

but too snotty, i agree. I'm just the advocate of 2nd rounders here, who have no lobby otherwise.

WizardsGM-old2
old-gm's
Scout

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 05:33:08 PM »

The incentive is that you are given the option to obtain 3 Bird years for the player you worked hard to find. No one else has that option. The $300 cost of exercising the option isn't enough to deter a GM from perusing the 2nd round for a decent player (the crappiness of the players in the 2nd round is the cause of that).

I think one of the points raised when we first discussed this was that an option year would result in early 2nd round picks becoming more valuable than late first round picks -- a result we wanted to avoid.

Now -- would I mind seeing a decrease in the price of exercising an option? No...

$300 is more than enough to deter me.  Without the option of writing articles for cash, money is at a real premium if you aren't a playoff team with a couple award winners.

Thanks for illustrating a downside to the current system; I hadn't given much thought to the impact on picks 25-29. 

I still think the benefits to a modified system outweigh the deficits; the division winners suffer a little late in the drafts first round, but everyone has a 2nd round pick they can use without risk.  Makes them more valuable for trade, means GM's don't have to pay to get rid of them (a cause near to your heart) and means that once every three seasons some lucky GM gets to gloat about picking up a stud with the 42nd pick overall. 

But I do understand the reasons for the current system more clearly now.    Cheers

^Click for roster page^
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »

If I've got FA dollars to spend, and you don't, how does it help that you can offer $4.5 while I can offer $6, or $8, for the guy you took the time and effort to draft.

That was never the goal of the rule.  The only reason the rule was put into place is because we can't offer multi-year MLE deals, and this put it on par with the NBA, which we were based off of. It is still possible to obtain bird years, as others have stated, it'll just cost a little.

Have we ever had a player go from second round pick to superstar worthy of a max contract after 2 seasons?  I've seen it happen, but it usually takes 5-6 years of good TC's, not 2.  

If we simply make it an option without the necessity to purchase an extension, the first 2 picks in the second round which you can then get bird years on are infinitely more valuable than the end of the first round, with their 4 year guaranteed contracts.

I think it's a nice tradeoff.  With 1st round picks you get earlier drafting position and bird years when they're done.  With second round picks you don't get the inherent risk of 4 year guaranteed deals, but you also run the risk if the guy you drafted becomes a superstar in 2 years and garners more than the MLE (unless you have cap space, or unless you purchase an extension).  Something that adds more strategy and decision making is never a bad thing, IMO.

$300 is more than enough to deter me.  Without the option of writing articles for cash, money is at a real premium if you aren't a playoff team with a couple award winners.

Two points:
1) You don't have to make the decision on the extension right away.  You can make it literally days before someone becomes a free agent.  If you have a guy who you think will garner a max contract offer in FA, $300 is chump change to ensure you can offer him a max contract the following FA period

2) Money is not based on award winners, and really isn't based off of playoff appearances (except for when you didn't make one last year).  You're primarily rewarded for attendance and improvement from previous years.  If you haven't seen:
http://forums.ssbabasketball.com/index.php?topic=4360.0

Completed (and approved) trade .................... $10
Posting a Depth Chart.............................. $10
Posting "all 12" depth charts........................ $100 *1
Full Attendance in Offseason....................... $100
Improving by 5 wins from last year................. $50
Improving by 10 wins from last year................ $75
Improving by 15+ wins from last year............... $100
Improving the most from last year.................. $100
Making the playoffs (when you didn't last year).... $50

So it's not a case of the rich getting richer.  In fact, for a team that wins 60 games, it's virtually impossible for them to get any of the improvement/playoff awards.

You can get a total of $320 just by posting all dc's and making all check-ins.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
WizardsGM-old2
old-gm's
Scout

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 06:08:38 PM »

Ya, after Hornets mentioned the impact on the late first round picks, I definately understand the reasoning.  Makes perfect sense.

And second...Sweet Jebus, no cash for playoffs, all-star, or all-NBA?!   
                                                                                             Eek3!

I'm freakin' out man.    Alcoholic

Anyone wanna buy my '28 and '29 2nds?   Lol 2

^Click for roster page^
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »

Yeah, the point of the bank wasn't to reward successful teams, and have the rich get richer, but to reward activity and improvement.  IMO I think it's worked out fairly well.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
MavsGM
GMs
GM

brian841255
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »

Speaking of the bank, the tourney pool money still hasn't awarded to the winners.

2018: Championship

Midwest Division Champ: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024, 3029.
Most playoffs appearances in the league with 23
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »

oh yea, I want my zero $ added immediately.
Can't even imagine what I could have purchased for all that dough ...

Cool

NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 07:43:23 PM »

updated

aka dabods/dbodner