SSBA
May 05, 2024, 01:27:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Conference Predictions  (Read 4753 times)
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« on: June 30, 2007, 05:35:59 PM »

Here is my pre-view of the Eastern Conference.

1.  Indiana Pacers
- The Pacers were re-constructed on the fly and did a great job.  They are deep, and have a very good blend of veteran leadership and youth.  LeBron and Caleb Anderson form one of the most feared combinations of wing players in the league.  With the defense anchored by Jim Finley inside, the Pacers have a great opportunity to win the Eastern conference regular season.

2.  Boston Celtics
- The Celtics had a great TC by Orlando Woolridge and he appears ready to take over the Celtics "dynasty."  With John Tyler inside and wily vets Pavel Podkolzine, Antonio Lenard, Josh Childress and Amare Stoudamire, these Celts appeard poised to be a strong team to possibly represent the East.

3.  Orlando Magic
- Orlando has had cap problems.  But the solid core of William Brice, Dwight Howard, Jeff Robertson and Carmelo Anothony will lead this team to yet another promising season.  This offensive unit will be enough to make the Magic a feared team among the league's elite.

4.  Atlanta Hawks
- Mike Evans and George Johnson carry the offensive load for the Hawks.   The Hawks have good defensive role players, and will fall from the last year's EC top seed.  But they will remain a playoff team that is more experience and a potential favorite out of the league's best division, the Central.

5. Cleveland Cavs
- A great blend of offensive talent, youth and experience proves to be a winning combination for Cleveland.  Their sole weakness could be defense, down the line.  With the decline of Antoine Berkowitz, expect a move from Cleveland to stay atop the East.  They always have something up their sleeve.

6. New Orleans Hornets
- Undeniably the best young team in the league.  They will be a slow starter, but a very strong finisher.  With Natt, Wilkins, Sampson and Drexler, their young core will vault the Hornets into the 2nd tier of EC teams.  They probably don't have the necessary tools to be a contender for the Eastern title, but are probably a year away.

7. New Jersey Nets
- Probably belong in the top 3, but I think that their youth will lead to a slightly more than mediocre regular season.  With only 5 players over 25, 3 of which are heavy contributors, will ultimately lead to a tough first round match-up.  If they can package some young guys for a very good wing guy, they will easily be top 5.

8. Milwaukee Bucks
- A solid veteran team who will turn in on the 2nd half of the season and make it into the playoffs.  A tough matchup from Mehta and company.  With good outside shooting and defense, the Bucks are a solid team that will scare many of the EC's top teams.

9. New York Knicks
- Despite the fabulous job by the KnicksGM, I think the young guys from the Garden will have a tough time making the playoffs.  The best young PG in the league, Isaiah Thomas, will do all the can to get the Knicks into the playoffs, but it will not be enough.  Next season the Knicks will be in the playoffs, guaranteed.

10. Washington Wizards
- Not a player over 26 and the tough decision to let Steven Schmaltz sign elsewhere may set the Wizards back a season.  The young team with James Hardy and Phil Unseld being the veterans on the team, I see them being a sub .500 team, but not bad.  The Wizards are a good defensive team and will win games on the defensive end.

11. Toronto Raptors
- The second best young core in the league.  A lot of good young guys, just lacking the stars, and leadership to have a season that the talent shows could happen.  I think they will be a streaky team that surprises teams then loses to teams that they shouldn't.  Could make the playoffs but my gut tells me different.

12. Philadelphia 76ers
- A horrific outside shooting team.  Slashing guards are the name of this team, and without the balance of those outside gunners teams will pack it in.  It is hard to put the defending EC champs down here, but Vito Ramsey and Mikel Chamberlain both lost a bit.  Althougth this could be the most unpredicatable year in the east and the 76ers could make the playoffs because of Bertram Shultz, the best wing player in the league.

13. Chicago Bulls
- It is hard to bet against Richard Milner, but the new BullsGM is probably in for a long season.  I don't see any good players on the roster outside of Dave Corzine (only good on one end) and of course the MVP Richard Milner.  I see Milner asking out of his only home thus far in search of that elusive ring.  The 33 year old Kris Humphries is doing all he can but it probably won't be enough.

14. Detroit Pistons
- A young team, with two talented wing guys, complimented by James Worthy inside.  After that, a bunch of guys who are a struggle to put on the floor.  Scott Demler is an average PG with room to improve and he could be the PG of the future.  Don't expect the Piston's to be bad for long, the most successful GM in league history is at the helm and won't settle for losing much longer.

15. Miami Heat
- After a sub-par TC, and self-proclaimed re-building, the Heat are in the cellar of the East.  Again another good GM in the basement won't last long.  This former champion from the Shaq/Marion days has his work cut out for him, but I see a bright future in sunny Miami.

Let's have some discussion!!
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »

THink you hit the nail on the head about the Raptors

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Hornets  Very Happy

Nice article. It's always nice to have a full rundown of the teams.
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 10:50:47 AM »

I'll do the WC, when I get time, I want to try and generate some more discussions
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 11:00:52 AM »

Oh, I wasn't pressuring you to do the WC, I was saying that it was cool that you did all of the EC teams, rather than like the top 10 or w/e.
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 12:31:24 PM »

Oh, I wasn't pressuring you to do the WC, I was saying that it was cool that you did all of the EC teams, rather than like the top 10 or w/e.

I know, I just don't want to leave out the inferior conference Cheers
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 07:46:52 AM »

1.  Indiana Pacers
- The Pacers were re-constructed on the fly and did a great job.  They are deep, and have a very good blend of veteran leadership and youth.  LeBron and Caleb Anderson form one of the most feared combinations of wing players in the league.  With the defense anchored by Jim Finley inside, the Pacers have a great opportunity to win the Eastern conference regular season.

2.  Boston Celtics
- The Celtics had a great TC by Orlando Woolridge and he appears ready to take over the Celtics "dynasty."  With John Tyler inside and wily vets Pavel Podkolzine, Antonio Lenard, Josh Childress and Amare Stoudamire, these Celts appeard poised to be a strong team to possibly represent the East.

well, that has to be a joke.
Neither the Pacers nor the Celtics made the playoffs last season.

The Pacers lost their only star scorer Quincy Peters in FA, but at least made some good additions in Alphonse Butler, Caleb Anderson and LeBron. But should that honestly lift them past the 10 teams finishing ahead of them last season?

And the Celtics actually got OLDER. The core of guys getting us to the 9th spot last year are now 33, 31, 34 and only Orlando young at 21. 34 year old Perry was replaced with 30yr old Tower - who is signed to a MINIMUM deal - and the ONLY other addition is 35yr old Amare (who has done little so far).

So if the Tower/Perry swap can lift me from #9 to #2, i do feel bad for the rest of the conference ...
 Cheers

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
PacersGM
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 08:24:37 AM »

1.  Indiana Pacers

2.  Boston Celtics

well, that has to be a joke.
Neither the Pacers nor the Celtics made the playoffs last season.

The Pacers lost their only star scorer Quincy Peters in FA, but at least made some good additions in Alphonse Butler, Caleb Anderson and LeBron. But should that honestly lift them past the 10 teams finishing ahead of them last season?

And the Celtics actually got OLDER. The core of guys getting us to the 9th spot last year are now 33, 31, 34 and only Orlando young at 21. 34 year old Perry was replaced with 30yr old Tower - who is signed to a MINIMUM deal - and the ONLY other addition is 35yr old Amare (who has done little so far).

So if the Tower/Perry swap can lift me from #9 to #2, i do feel bad for the rest of the conference ...
 Cheers

i have done more than adding 3 starters. in fact only shane and rob stayed on my team from last year.
last year i had 1 and a half guy who could score over 20pts and still made it almost to the POs.
this year i have a more balanced attack and added defense and depth.
true i won´t be at the top but at least i expect POs this year with several teams on the decline.

And your team has to be considered in the top 3. With the addition of Amare and a pretty good TC anything else than finishing in the top 4 in the east has to be a disappointment.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:26:13 AM by PacersGM » Logged
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »

Celts:  I think this is the best team you've had.  Tyler is a beast and Woolridge has become a good scorer.  I really think you'll be top 3.  And I think having the same crew will help you because of chemistry.
NetsGM
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 06:00:29 PM »

Hawks: I'm curious to see where you'd put the Nets now (that the Milner era has begun).
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 04:41:22 PM »

If I had to re-do the top 5 now
1. Celtics
2. Nets
3. Pacers
4. Cavs
5. Magic

I'm in love with Milner though so I'm biased.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: