SSBA
May 05, 2024, 11:04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: View from the bottom ... Top 8 Power Ranking Down Under (I)  (Read 3059 times)
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« on: November 18, 2005, 08:49:28 AM »

Welcome to the infrequent look UP the standings, courtesy of the Celtics (who know a thing or two about how it's down there). Due to the nature of visual effects, objects closer to the bottom appear far bigger than those far away atop the rankings.

FACT FILE: bottom dwellers
in case you don't know who they are, here's a quick rundown of what makes them so special:
Well, the bottom dweller teams in these leagues, have
a) no superstar quality players
b) gotten ripped in practically every deal where the only valueable guys (from the "young and full of potential but not quite there yet, but become superstars for a decade the moment we give them away" variety) are taken for soon-to-be-washed-up vets that get us the coveted 5 extra W's and then break down for the season ... and are never the same therafter, averaging backup numbers for the rest of their sorry careers ... unless they get traded to a contender - for an expiring mostly - where they suddenly rejuvenate their broken game and become instantly great contributors again - just what YOU were expecting of them
c) one single winning sim as highlight of the season ... enough to make them believe they finally made the turnaround
d) draft picks that should let them select among the top 10 every season ... but end up picking in the low teens or later as there always is one point of the season where they get offered a great vet (look under b) and trade down the draft pick in addition to the talent they give ... not aware that they could have signed this vet for LLE money half a season later.

Yep, this is who they are.

So let's take a look now who's near and who's far from the bottom:

(remark: I give a shit about how good teams really are. If injuries, too much class to provide a DC, your GF, whatever caused your misery, i don't care. If you're better than your play suggests, prove it, start winning. Otherwise, welcome here ...)

#8 Nuggets (33-49)
Their best player is a rookie and they used 5 different starting PGs this season (who COMBINED got 22.6 ass on 12 TOs). The regular rotation averages less then 3 years experience (despite Vlad and Gadz) and it shows. Actually i believe they overachieved all season, and without a 1st rounder the 12mio cap space REALLY has to bring some help ...
Outlook: will be a regular here.

#7 Sixers (32-50)
This team is led by big man Tanner and a rookie PG (who does a fine job at that) but lacks scoring puch big time anywhere else. Nobody apart from Eddy - who's poor D keeps him off the court for extended minutes - takes more than 10 shots. Combine that with 43% shooting and you, to say it nicely, get a team challanged at scoring.
Outlook: Wiz pick and small cap space must bring help

#6 Blazers (31-51)
Arguably the most talented squad down here the Blazers had just one big problem: defend. Giving up 104ppg on 46% shooting plus 55 boards isn't cutting it here (a 6'6" PF MIGHT have something to do with that). But don't worry bout this squad, they got talent acrosse the roster and even surprised some top teams lately. But don't bet on a postseason berth next season just yet ...
Outlook: "the future's so bright i gotta wear shades" (no it's even better. With ALL their young stars signed they'll be 14mio below cap too. And they got no pick which means they could REALLY be good)

#5 Lakers (31-51)
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Wait, sorry, we're discussing the Lake show here. Bad in the past, bad now. Averaged exactly 31 wins over past 3 seasons (so much for meeting expectations) and this "trend" will drag on. Two guys, neither a proven winner leading the team, take up 62% of their cap - for three more seasons. Wow, now THAT's a deep hole to climb out. Oh yeah, thay play ball too. 92ppg, 49rpg, 43% shooting. Nuff said. Guys, this is a loooooooongterm project ...
Outlook: dark, as in black

now before we get to the top 4 a quick commercial break ...
 Cool

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 12:21:47 PM »

nice Celts, I won't hold anything against you when I get the #1 spot, I know I deserve it as of now
MavsGM
GMs
GM

brian841255
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »

As of now?  What season are we in?  You still have not done anything close to the old SSBA and a .287 winning% would not help.

2018: Championship

Midwest Division Champ: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024, 3029.
Most playoffs appearances in the league with 23
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 10:26:12 PM »

Quote from: MavsGM
As of now?  What season are we in?  You still have not done anything close to the old SSBA and a .287 winning% would not help.

As of now, meaning I don't plan on being horrible in future seasons, you know there's only up to go, not all of us started with the roster you did either Wink
CavsGM
GMs
GM

ebball12289
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 02:52:19 PM »

HawksGM knows what he's doing. He won't be the last team left that hasn't made the playoffs, that's for sure...
MavsGM
GMs
GM

brian841255
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 03:05:51 PM »

Quote from: HawksGM

As of now, meaning I don't plan on being horrible in future seasons, you know there's only up to go, not all of us started with the roster you did either Wink

You all have the chance to pick the Mavs before I did.  I think there were like 10-15 teams left and I really wanted the Rockets back. Mad .  Also, I'm sure that the Mavs was not the best team out there.  There were teams better than the Mavs and look at them now.  When I took over the Mavs, I know they were good but also old.

Midwest Division Champ: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024, 3029.
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 03:10:54 PM »

Mavs were the best team.
MavsGM
GMs
GM

brian841255
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 03:12:22 PM »

The Suns were the best team.  They have Marion, Amare, and Nash.

HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 03:18:54 PM »

The Suns were the best team.  They have Marion, Amare, and Nash.

It would be a hard choice whether to take the Suns or the Mavs. In any event, the Mavs were at least the 2nd best team.
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 03:27:28 PM »

Actually, you're right, minus Hoffa (who you got in trade), the Suns were better than the Mavs.
HawksGM
Administrator
GM

hawksgm24
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 08:28:11 PM »

yea, there were obviously pros and cons about each team, obviously mavs has made some great moves, as i feel if have, but i also know that i have made about 10 decisions that i regret doing, oh well, now it's time to try and stay put which seems to be a characteristic of the great teams, not making too many moves...ie me having Big Ben and Ron Artest for 3 seasons in the last league and that lead to success.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: