SSBA
May 05, 2024, 06:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Conference Playoff Race  (Read 6977 times)
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« on: September 28, 2005, 11:52:03 AM »

Let's take a look at the hot, hot, hot Eastern playoff race this year, one of the best ever.

Ranking in projected order of finish:
1. Nets - Best team around here, got even deeper at the deadline. It's been proven recently they can be beaten, but taking a series from them will be almost impossible.

2. Pacers - One of the deepest teams in the league with a superb frontline and many scoring options. They can outscore you or beat you in a defensive battle. But close enough to the Nets?

3. Hornets - The starting lineup has three megastars but the bench is pretty thin. That might cost them in case of injuries, but in the playoffs anyone plays smaller rotations anyway.

4. Bulls - A huge gap to the top3 in the loss column, but this is currently the hottest team in the east. Their first ever playoff birth is all but secured and the team is clicking. Lack star power, but look out!

5. Sixers - A huge gap to the top4 skill-wise. TD and Tanner carry them but an extended playoff run seems a reach. Can beat most teams but also losing to most teams dropped them here.

6. Pistons - Finally found a way to stop the midseason freefall and look solid again. Pretty deep team improved at deadline (JdN) and may surprise some people in the post season.

7. Cavs - Got a huge upgrade at deadline to improve their frontcourt and can now work inside and ouside. VC is still their everything but teams will now have to respect someone besides VK too.

8. Raptors - Sixth eastern playoff team to get a big upgrade at the deadline. Monster frountcourt will have to carry light backcourt but no one really wants to face them in the postseason.

=============================
9. Celtics - Sorry guys, the run started a tad too late. Lineup looks like a sure playoff team now but they'll narrowly miss the big dance again. Being still the worst team after sim5 left a too big hole to climb out.

10. Wizards - Got the veterans and got the youth, but never found the right mix for extended success. The future looks good for this team, but the present points to early tee times.

11. Magic - Couldn't decide if rebuilding or winning was the plan. Ray almost singlehandingly led them to homecourt advantage in the first round, but thats a thing of the past. They are rebuilding now.

12. Bucks - Made the move but made it way too late. They'll end the season on a nice run, but the chemistry problems throughout cost them a chance to surprise the Nets. Yes, they beat every good team this year.

13. Knicks - Made the decision that the future is more important than winning a few more games and wisely did so. Designated ROY Wells will lead the big task to make this team better, but they are on track.

14. Heat - A couple of in-season moves left an unbalanced team on a freefall since mid-season. They'll need some new parts to return to winning ways again, but with a young core at least it looks possible.

15. Hawks - Worst team in the league and it will be a huge obstacle NOT to defend that "title" next season. They have a few solid guys but FA and the draft will have to fill many needs. The only way is up.

Next time we look at playoff matchups when the playoff positioning has come to a close. Stay tuned ...

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
PacersGM
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 12:20:26 PM »

nice article...

i can see your team in the POs instead of the raptors.
lets guess that 42 is enough this year.

the raptors need a 13-5 run not impossible but very tough
your team need only a 8-6 to take that place.
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 12:34:36 PM »

Quote from: PacersGM
i can see your team in the POs instead of the raptors.
lets guess that 42 is enough this year.

the raptors need a 13-5 run not impossible but very tough
your team need only a 8-6 to take that place.

That was pretty much my thoughts....even the Magic only have to struggle to a 8-7 finish to end up with 42 wins.  I see the 8th spot as a battle between the Magic & Celtics.
Iverson2Korver43
GMs
Coach

Sault_town_pimp@hotmail.com Iverson2Korver43
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 01:00:59 PM »

Thanx for the props...  A Jazz-like play-off run from the 6th seed would be great, even though I don't see it happening...
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 01:07:56 PM »

Thanks for the props, Celtics, especially when by putting me in the picutre, you took yourself out.

I have 18 games left, and I think I can win 14 of them.

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »

Quote from: RaptorsGM
Thanks for the props, Celtics, especially when by putting me in the picutre, you took yourself out.

Me too, thats why i tried to stay impartial and put you up there.

And I can also see me not even winning half of my remaining games. I'm still not completely sold my team is for real, I lose way too many blowout games. But IF I remain in the hunt I see some other team than the raptors falling out of the picture (any I won't name any here).

My "most fun to watch" scenario would see the Raptors finish 7th and fight the Pacers in an epic battle of Dampier-Cato-O'Neal vs. Yao-Hoffa. Now THAT I would pay for to actually watch ...

Laughing

SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 01:26:28 PM »

That would be very impressive especially with these games included...Hornets (3 times), Bulls (2 times), Pistons, Pacers, Grizzlies, Sonics, Clippers.  And 7 of those 10 games are on the road.
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 01:27:52 PM »

Quote from: CelticsGM

Me too, thats why i tried to stay impartial and put you up there.

And I can also see me not even winning half of my remaining games. I'm still not completely sold my team is for real, I lose way too many blowout games. But IF I remain in the hunt I see some other team than the raptors falling out of the picture (any I won't name any here).

My "most fun to watch" scenario would see the Raptors finish 7th and fight the Pacers in an epic battle of Dampier-Cato-O'Neal vs. Yao-Hoffa. Now THAT I would pay for to actually watch ...

Laughing

That would be awesome. Getting the 8th seed and having to face a team like the Nets is usually just a ticket for a first round exit (at least, that's what I thought until last year Wink )

I think I cold give the Pacers a bit of a run...

RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 01:29:47 PM »

Quote from: SpursGM

That would be very impressive especially with these games included...Hornets (3 times), Bulls (2 times), Pistons, Pacers, Grizzlies, Sonics, Clippers.  And 7 of those 10 games are on the road.

I can probably take 1 from the Horents...so there's 2 losses...I will also lose to the Pacers and Clippers, probably.
But I think I can take the rest, including the Bulls...

SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 02:00:50 PM »

Quote from: SpursGM

I can probably take 1 from the Horents...so there's 2 losses...I will also lose to the Pacers and Clippers, probably.
But I think I can take the rest, including the Bulls...

I see your team having trouble with outside shooting teams...very little perimeter defense.  The Grizzlies, Sonics & Pistons are 3 of the top 4 teams from behind the arc.  Your recent losses have come from teams that get strong output from their PG, SG & SF positions.

Then there is the misleading 6-1 sim you had after the trade.  4 of your wins were against the Bucks, Magic & Heat...teams that have combined to win just 1/3 of their games since the all-star break.  You really only played 2 playoff teams (Wolves & Spurs) and went 1-1.  The other win was against the Wizards whose #1 option is an inside player (again supporting the fact that you do best against inside teams).
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 02:17:07 PM »

I don't really thi nk a 6-1 sim is misleading.

True, I didn't beat any of the big teams since the trade...but I haven't had a chance to.

Hoffa's one poor defensive game was the one loss I have since the trade. It's all on him staing in the game.

SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 02:28:39 PM »

I don't really thi nk a 6-1 sim is misleading.

True, I didn't beat any of the big teams since the trade...but I haven't had a chance to.

Hoffa's one poor defensive game was the one loss I have since the trade. It's all on him staing in the game.

Well, we will see.  Although I think you will have a good sim tonight and the real test will be in the final sim.  Tonight you play 6 of 8 games at home and face only 3 playoff teams - Cavs, Hornets & Pistons.  Even if you lose 2 of those 3 you could end up with a 6-2 sim.

In the last sim you play 8 of 10 games on the road and face 8 playoff teams (9 if you include the Magic).

However if you do pull it off and make the playoffs...especially by winning 14 of your last 18 games...I will be here to give you your props.   Cool
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 02:38:50 PM »

Well, I just don't know either. I outsocred opponents by 15.1 ppg that sim. My defence was acceptable and my offense was awesome.

6-1 is all i have to judge by right now Smile

Can't wait for this sim.

CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 02:44:15 PM »

Well, I just don't know either. I outsocred opponents by 15.1 ppg that sim. My defence was acceptable and my offense was awesome.

Can't wait for this sim.

Well, I went 7-1 last sim, ourscored opponents by almost 10 (despite being involved on the wrong side of a 28pt blowout). But I also know WHO I beat there ...

So I've got no idea how the next sims will pan out. Hope for the best, but won't even make a prediction ...

RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 02:48:49 PM »

Quote from: CelticsGM

Can't wait for this sim.

Well, I went 7-1 last sim, ourscored opponents by almost 10 (despite being involved on the wrong side of a 28pt blowout). But I also know WHO I beat there ...

So I've got no idea how the next sims will pan out. Hope for the best, but won't even make a prediction ...

See, I have no idea either.

I just want to be optimsitic. I THINK I can win 14 of 18. I WILL PROBABLY be wrong Smile

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: