SSBA
May 05, 2024, 05:19:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playoff Round 1 Discussions  (Read 22810 times)
SixersGM
GMs
GM

limpatj2 crazylyf@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »

Quote from: HornetsGM
Shit, for some reason I thought I had Kmart playing PF, but Odom, the lesser defender, was playing that position.

In any event, I don't think that I should have lost the series, but I thought there was a chance.

Podkolzine = Houbregs
Odom < Duncan
Martin > Terpening
Marion > Manu
Livingston > Chamberlain

Dang.

Houbregs is better than Pavel, statistically and Physically (Tanner:7'4 301lbs)

But anyway, i think that your team is more superior than mine. Although i think that my bench is much deeper than yours.

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
Philly Basketball: Never Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2005, 08:53:46 PM »

Quote from: NetsGM
All of this may be true, but I have had the same team all season and I went 3-1 against them.

4 games is hardly a significant number.

My only experiment was making Buckner my starting SG, and this was a neccesity after Springs went down. Springs was NOT the catalyst for this team, so that doesn't explain it right there.

And Kobe KILLED you to the tune of 26.3 ppg.

You might have been a 60 game winner, but your team isn't perfect, and this was the worst matchup for you.

4 games is pretty significant when a series is only 7. If the 4 game regular season series doesn't give you a good idea of what to expect in the playoffs than I don't know what would.

Kobe didn't play SG, he played SF. Meaning the change at SG meant NOTHING.

My team is a hell of a lot more perfect than the Bucks team was.

It shouldn't have happened.

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2005, 08:55:38 PM »

Then it means Kobe was going up against a B- defender.

and Donta, against the lesser defender than normally at the 2, went off for 19.6 ppg.  Meanwhile you had a non-scoring threat to take advantage of weak defending Donta Smith.

Sure did mean something.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
BucksGM
GMs
Coach

zugga904 zugga1
View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2005, 08:56:01 PM »

Well now that I pulled off the miracle upset, I'll explain what I did.

The Raptors trounced me 3 out of 4 times, at least 2 of them coming before I switched pace from fast to slow.

Since the Raptors were a Top 5 offense and a Top 5 defense, I had to choose which one I thought I could best limit.  So for the playoffs, I changed the pace to very slow, hoping just to minimize the chances/possessions for Toronto's offensive output.

Collier was my 2nd leading scorer, but I wasn't going to test Yao's A defense, so I switched him to 4 and made him the 3rd option against Mihm's A- defense, deciding my only chance was the perimeter.  I switched my best scorer (Kobe) to the 3 so he'd match up against Peja, Toronto's worst defender.  Kobe also happened to be an A defender, so I put him on Peja who just happened to be Toronto's best perimeter offensive player as well.  

From there, Donta Smith's B- defense was safe against Toronto's 2 guards, who weren't scorers.  Tinsley wasn't an option all year for scoring, and I kept it that way against Baron's A+ defense.

So I made my offensive options Kobe (against B- defense), Donta (against B+ defense) and then Collier on Mihm.

From a defensive standpoint, Tinsley vs. Baron, Donta safe against the 2s, Kobe on Peja, Collier's B+ on the nonscoring Mihm and my best big defenders (Okur/Allen) platooning on Yao.

Of course it was lucky that I won, but that's why it's a sim.  And I did put plenty of thought and analysis into approaching it.
SixersGM
GMs
GM

limpatj2 crazylyf@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2005, 08:58:13 PM »

Quote from: BucksGM
Well now that I pulled off the miracle upset, I'll explain what I did.

The Raptors trounced me 3 out of 4 times, at least 2 of them coming before I switched pace from fast to slow.

Since the Raptors were a Top 5 offense and a Top 5 defense, I had to choose which one I thought I could best limit.  So for the playoffs, I changed the pace to very slow, hoping just to minimize the chances/possessions for Toronto's offensive output.

Collier was my 2nd leading scorer, but I wasn't going to test Yao's A defense, so I switched him to 4 and made him the 3rd option against Mihm's A- defense, deciding my only chance was the perimeter.  I switched my best scorer (Kobe) to the 3 so he'd match up against Peja, Toronto's worst defender.  Kobe also happened to be an A defender, so I put him on Peja who just happened to be Toronto's best perimeter offensive player as well.  

From there, Donta Smith's B- defense was safe against Toronto's 2 guards, who weren't scorers.  Tinsley wasn't an option all year for scoring, and I kept it that way against Baron's A+ defense.

So I made my offensive options Kobe (against B- defense), Donta (against B+ defense) and then Collier on Mihm.

From a defensive standpoint, Tinsley vs. Baron, Donta safe against the 2s, Kobe on Peja, Collier's B+ on the nonscoring Mihm and my best big defenders (Okur/Allen) platooning on Yao.

Of course it was lucky that I won, but that's why it's a sim.  And I did put plenty of thought and analysis into approaching it.

a very wise move i should say..

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
Philly Basketball: Never Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 08:59:05 PM »

Buckner was actually a B defender.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 09:00:27 PM »

Quote from: NetsGM

Then it means Kobe was going up against a B- defender.

and Donta, against the lesser defender than normally at the 2, went off for 19.6 ppg.  Meanwhile you had a non-scoring threat to take advantage of weak defending Donta Smith.

Sure did mean something.

Kobe getting 26 shouldnt have hurt me. Donta getting 20 shouldnt have hurt me.

Peja has always EXCELLED against better defending SFs. He burns Marion every time.

SunsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 09:01:15 PM »

Whoa, Both #1 seeds are out of the playoffs,the sheik pick(the hornets) are out too.

FBB really is a crap shoot.

Well good job to the Mavs, and i'm suprised i made the playoffs(but happy i did) and suprised i made it to six games against them.

good luck to all the teams the rest of the way

2016,2019,2026,2027,2034 Pacific Division Champions!
2034,2036 Western Conference Champions!
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 09:01:47 PM »

THe individual matchup of Yao vs. Okur should have far outweighed any other matchup.

Yao got 33 ppg, and that should have been enough.

The fact that it wasn't enough is the reason that I am pissed. It's never enough to be a top team.

NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 09:06:20 PM »

So basically what you're saying is despite the fact that you had a bad matchup, and despite the fact that you got sorely outcoached, you should have advanced to the 2nd round against all that?

Yes, Yao scored.  But did he rebound?  No.  Why not?  Probably because he was trying to guard a 3 point shooter.  think that was a factor?

Peja has scored on some good defenders, but do you know how good their perimeter defense is?  Kobe's held opposing SG's to under 35% shooting for the year, and they make less than one a game against him.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
BucksGM
GMs
Coach

zugga904 zugga1
View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2005, 09:08:56 PM »

Kobe's held opposing SG's to under 35% shooting for the year, and they make less than one a game against him.

There's a stat I could have used heading into Round 1 Smile

Peja has always EXCELLED against better defending SFs. He burns Marion every time.

Peja has also dropped ratings in the past season.  Obviously in basketball a perimeter scorer is going to be less consistent than a big.  Peja had some huge games, and then he had some 8-28 games.  That's the way it is.

Maybe you should have made Buckner and his 82% 3 point % an option Shocked
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2005, 09:09:48 PM »

ack, meant from 3 pt range.  not fg%.  Under 35% from 3 pt range, making less than 1 3pter per game against him.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
BucksGM
GMs
Coach

zugga904 zugga1
View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2005, 09:15:13 PM »

Well regardless, switching Kobe to 3 and Donta to 2 was a no brainer move, regardless of all the numbers at one's disposal.
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2005, 09:18:07 PM »

Quote from: SixersGM
Quote from: HornetsGM
Shit, for some reason I thought I had Kmart playing PF, but Odom, the lesser defender, was playing that position.

In any event, I don't think that I should have lost the series, but I thought there was a chance.

Podkolzine = Houbregs
Odom < Duncan
Martin > Terpening
Marion > Manu
Livingston > Chamberlain

Dang.

Houbregs is better than Pavel, statistically and Physically (Tanner:7'4 301lbs)

But anyway, i think that your team is more superior than mine. Although i think that my bench is much deeper than yours.

Pavel blocked more shots and grabbed more rebounds than Houbregs. Houbregs has the scoring edge. It's pretty close IMO.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you, I know that I had the better team, but you can't win them all.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2005, 09:23:29 PM »

Well, now that we're 3 pages into it, i'll actually talk about my series.

Just dominating.  Which I expected with Iverson not playing.

Me: 106.7 ppg, 48.6%, 47.3% from 3 (9 made per game)
Opp: 73.5 ppg, 32.2%, 27.2% from 3 (1.5 made per game)

Won rebounding 63.5-44 on average.  Did lose to's, however, that's the only problem with the series.

Pettit: 33 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3.25 apg, 1.5 spg, 51.4%, 47.5% from 3 (5 made per game)
Billups: 21.5 ppg, 9.75 apg, only 3 topg, 54.8%, 54.5% from 3 pt (3 made per game)
Okafor: 17 ppg, 15.7 rpg, 3.3 apg, 3.3 bpg, 1 spg, only 1 topg, 46.6% shooting
Battier with 8 pts, 9 boards, 3.3 steals, 1.5 apg.  Couldn't shoot though.
Dalembert with 10 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 6.25 bpg

Lo was great off the bench, whom I tried to get more minutes for.  nearly 8/10 off the bench in 23 mpg.

Amare scored (21 ppg), but Dalembert held him to 28.2% shooting.  Rasheed did a bit of damage (15 ppg on 40% shooting), Diop was held to 25% shooting by the defensive player of the year, neither hayes, rush or embry did anything from the perimeter.

76ers are gonna be tough.  real tough.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: