SSBA
May 20, 2024, 04:08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MLE Offers  (Read 4534 times)
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 02:06:50 PM »

Quote from: NetsGM
In the case of Gordon, he probably has large money offers from teams like the Nets, and therefore MLE offers are a bit of a waste of time.

And yet you still made one (scratches head)

Sure, and who wouldn't, considering you only just said you were not going to enter them.

I'm refuse to not offer a player a contract on the premise that another team is supposedly offering more money.

Don't forget that you are the only one that has seen the bids so far - I haven't. I have no way of knowing that Gordon has better offers than the MLE.

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »

Actually, I have been entering bids for Gordon.  It's just ridiculous, IMO.

You have no way of knowing only if you have no common sense.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 02:37:31 PM »

Actually, I have been entering bids for Gordon.  It's just ridiculous, IMO.

You have no way of knowing only if you have no common sense.

I never said it wasn't a resonable assumption to make that Gordon will get offers bigger than the MLE.

But I'm not going to make assumptions.

MagicGM
Administrator
GM

ratsky1@msn.com dftlim dmx_dftlim
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2005, 05:44:50 AM »

limiting MLE off would be ideal for commishes, but I don't think it would be ideal for GM's.

The idea for free agency is to give team under the cap, "SOMEHOW" a fair chance to sign solid players. Limiting offers is like putting a handcuff on GMs. IMO

GLORY DAYS!
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2005, 07:30:57 AM »

No, It would just mean it would take more thought and less "let me list every guy I want".

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »

Bottom line is I think it takes away freedom from a SSBA GM that a real NBA GM has.

One of the reasons this league has lasted so long is because of how close it is to being an actual GM in the NBA.

There are no restrictions on BK as to how many FA's he contacts. And he contacts lots of them that he has no chance at signing (Finley).

SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2005, 09:05:06 AM »

But if a GM is under the cap then he shouldn't be sending in loads of MLE offers.   Question   Anyway we are not talking only 5 offers from each GM but limitiing the number of each type of offer.  Only 5 MLE offers.  Only 5 LLE offers.  And I would say only 5 minimum offers.  As far as offers for anything over the MLE then GMs who have the cap space should be able to make more....but is there more than 6-7 FAs who are worth more than the MLE?

If betweeen the quality of players and your team needs you can't narrow your choices down to 5 MLE offers then it should be your problem as GM.  To the far extreme someone who is 4 deep at say SG could have made MLE offers to several SGs but why?

By not limiting choices it makes it easier to be a GM....just look down the FA list and offer the MLE to every player who is above average.  A limit makes the GM have to put thought into their decision.  I
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2005, 09:16:28 AM »

Quote from: SpursGM
But if a GM is under the cap then he shouldn't be sending in loads of MLE offers.   Question   Anyway we are not talking only 5 offers from each GM but limitiing the number of each type of offer.  Only 5 MLE offers.  Only 5 LLE offers.  And I would say only 5 minimum offers.  As far as offers for anything over the MLE then GMs who have the cap space should be able to make more....but is there more than 6-7 FAs who are worth more than the MLE?

If betweeen the quality of players and your team needs you can't narrow your choices down to 5 MLE offers then it should be your problem as GM.  To the far extreme someone who is 4 deep at say SG could have made MLE offers to several SGs but why?

By not limiting choices it makes it easier to be a GM....just look down the FA list and offer the MLE to every player who is above average.  A limit makes the GM have to put thought into their decision.  I

-Of course he shouldn't be sending MLE offers if he is under the cap (by more than 4.5 mil). He doesn't have the MLE to spend.

-There were a TON more FA's who were worth more than the MLE this year.

-limiting the offers is fine for a GM that is only 4 deep, but for teams that have depth everywhere, like I did this year, you just want to get the most talent possible.

I sent 9 MLE offers and 9 LLE offers. I don't think this is an outrageous number.

In the end, it's Bods call, of course. But I don't agree with limiting offers.

NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »

Um....at one point in the nba can billy king offer the MLE to 15 different players simultaneously and have no barring and chosing which one of those 15 sign?

Unfortunately our FA is probably the least realistic of any portion of this league.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 09:37:35 AM »

Um....at one point in the nba can billy king offer the MLE to 15 different players simultaneously and have no barring and chosing which one of those 15 sign?

Unfortunately our FA is probably the least realistic of any portion of this league.

Yes, that's true. He has to make offers one at a time, to see if they will accept....meaning we could spend about 50 days doing Fa alone.

You're right.

NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2005, 09:41:41 AM »

the fact of the matter is that if you send 30 MLE offers, you're hurting yourself (as you become less targetted in who you'll get), AND it's a colossal waste of my time (30 offers x 29 teams = an assload of time).

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: