SSBA
May 05, 2024, 03:44:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POST BEGINNER QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 27438 times)
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 07:39:00 PM »

If you have any questions, just post them here and someone will respond.
OldNuggetsGM
old-gm's
Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 10:00:09 PM »

Okay, about extensions:

If we have a player who is only inked for Year One, do we extend them during this offseason, or after their one-year deal is up?  I would assume the latter.

So since we're just starting this, no one will be extended during this free agency go-round, right?  We're just looking to sign free agents?
OldNuggetsGM
old-gm's
Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:04:06 PM »

Cutting:

If we cut a player, we're on the hook for all the money, right?  So a two-year contract worth, say, $4 million for both years would still count $4 million against the cap even with the cut?
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 10:21:55 PM »

Nuggs, you are correct on all your questions.
OldNuggetsGM
old-gm's
Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:22:59 PM »

Thank you.  I just wanted to make sure.
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 09:52:23 AM »

Are extensions automatically accepted or can another team lure them away with a better offer in free agency?
SunsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 09:59:27 AM »

Quote from: SpursGM
Are extensions automatically accepted or can another team lure them away with a better offer in free agency?

After each season, players that want to remain with your team will make an offer to you, and yiu can accept or decline it. The players who choose not to resign at that time(they decide to test Free Agency) can listen to  offers from other teams, or re sign with their old team. hope that that helps.

2016,2019,2026,2027,2034 Pacific Division Champions!
2034,2036 Western Conference Champions!
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 10:18:35 AM »

Are we stuck with the positions currently assigned or can they be changed?  Can I use a sg as my backup pg on my depth chart?

For example on the Spurs Beno Udrih is listed as a sg but in reality is a pg.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 11:08:15 AM »

Just to add on to what SunsGM said (and what he said is 100% correct), when they offer you extensions at the end of the year you either accept or decline it, there are no negotiations.  You either sign them to the contract they offered or allow them to test free agency.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
OldNuggetsGM
old-gm's
Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 11:10:28 AM »

So with the expiring contracts, you'll receive an offer from everyone who's up?  Or just those with a high loyalty/winning (if you're winning) seeking to stay?
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 11:14:51 AM »

Are we stuck with the positions currently assigned or can they be changed?  Can I use a sg as my backup pg on my depth chart?

You can change the guy's position by telling the commish you want to change him. Usually this is done in the "cut/sign" thread, and maybe the thread should be edited to include that subject.

As far as your depth chart, you could play Marc Jackson at point guard if you wanted to.
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 11:17:34 AM »

Quote from: NuggetsGM
So with the expiring contracts, you'll receive an offer from everyone who's up?  Or just those with a high loyalty/winning (if you're winning) seeking to stay?

You won't receive an offer from everyone, and a lot does depend on loyalty and winning.
If they decide not to immediately sign with you and you don't own their bird rights (see the "league rules" thread), then it's likely that you will lose them if they are a pretty big free agent.

EDIT: By the way, you might not want to play Udrih at the point since he has D+ handling
OldNuggetsGM
old-gm's
Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 01:14:36 PM »

Quote from: HornetsGM

You can change the guy's position by telling the commish you want to change him. Usually this is done in the "cut/sign" thread, and maybe the thread should be edited to include that subject.

As far as your depth chart, you could play Marc Jackson at point guard if you wanted to.

Okay, so you can change a guy's position eligibility.  But a player can only play ONE position?  So if a guy is listed as a PF, and I want him to be a C, and change his position to C, does that then mean that he can no longer play at PF?  

For example, McGrady has to be either a SG or a SF, and can't play both?  There aren't any swingmen (SG/SF) or PF/C in the game?
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 01:24:36 PM »

Okay, so you can change a guy's position eligibility. But a player can only play ONE position? So if a guy is listed as a PF, and I want him to be a C, and change his position to C, does that then mean that he can no longer play at PF?

Nope, you can place them at any position.

Each position (PG, SG, SF, PF, C) has people listed as 3 deep.

So, let's say for example I sign Okafor.  My PF,C rotation could look like this.

C: Okafor, Boozer, Humphries
PF: Boozer, Humphries, Okafor

If I wanted to.  What position you have them listed as doesn't make too much of a difference.

The only real difference it makes is on their ratings.  If you change a PF to SF, his ratings will reflect how his skillset is compared to others at his position.  His defense may have been an A- at pf, but because he's bigger and slower and is now on the wing, might drop to a B at SF.  By changing his position you can see these changes in abilities and plan your roster accordingly.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
OldNuggetsGM
old-gm's
Coach

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 01:37:52 PM »

Thanks a bunch.  

But one last thing: How do we get to see these ratings for position changes?  If you make a change in the system, will the ratings for both the old and new positions show up?  Or will we have to PM you to change it back if we don't like the new rating?

Obviously, something like this makes your life a lot more time-consuming.  But I have at least one guy already on my roster who I'd like to see play multiple positions, and the FA's I'm looking at could play a couple different spots too.  And as to the FA, if their ratings are going to change, that would lead me to revisit my offers to them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: