SSBA
May 06, 2024, 05:18:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying contract extensions  (Read 2559 times)
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« on: December 11, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »

Let me start to make a plea here to extend the period where you can buy a contract extension.

Right now it's BEFORE sim 12 ... which i think is very unfortunate. Often your season isn't completed then, you still might not know if you wil make the playoffs or not, but should decide what to plan for next season already.

If we moved back that date to the first playoff sim, this would give us the chance to make it dependend on how the past season has turned out. The important deadline you had to decide BEFORE would be the opening of extension offers to the GMs, something that usually happens around the start of the playoffs.

I think it would be an improvement to the gameplay, future planning, and GM'ing in general, but i'm open for discussion.

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:23:18 PM »

the major reason it is where it is because if we would push it back at all, then we wouldn't be able to get fa extension offers out until after the first round of the playoffs.  IMO having more time for player extension decisions is more important than an extra sim of purchasing an extension.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:47:29 PM »

then let's make the deadline 24 hrs after sim12 has been uploaded.
we have timestamps everywhere.

I just find it's tough making that decision before the season is even finished.

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:24:55 PM »

IMO managing your cap is something that is not dependent on whether you make the playoffs or not.  And especially if you are counting on sim 12 to make or break your season.  After 11 sims (and often 2-3 seasons) every GM should know who they want to retain and who they are interested in letting go.  I would vote to keep the rule as is.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:41:39 PM »

IMO managing your cap is something that is not dependent on whether you make the playoffs or not.  And especially if you are counting on sim 12 to make or break your season.  After 11 sims (and often 2-3 seasons) every GM should know who they want to retain and who they are interested in letting go.  I would vote to keep the rule as is.

I tend to agree with this.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:59:12 PM »

Though I am not against having a hard line of 24hrs after the last sim as Tom suggested, I tend to disagree that you dont know if you want to extend someone until after the final 10 days are played. If you dont know by the first 110 days of the season whether you want to keep a guy another year or not, then he must be very iffy. And its not just keeping him around, its spending valuable (to some) team bank dollars to keep him around. I would think that those 110 days and at minimum 72 games should be enough to tell you about a player.

That is just my personal opinion. As stated previously, I wouldnt be against an extra 24 hours because that would leave an additional 24 hours until the playoffs start. However, I just think the reasoning doesnt hold much value.  Neutral

2023 Midwest Division Champs - Nuggets
2023 Western Conference Champs - Nuggets
2024 SSBA Champs - Nuggets
RaptorsGM
GMs
GM

htotheizzo_17@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »

It's a matter of what you value in a player. Some of us value ratings only and don't look at anything else. Some of us value stats. Some of us value the ability to lead a team or the ability to contribute to playoff teams. Obviously I think most of us are some combination of the above.

But for Tom, if it's important to him that a certain player contributes to a playoff team, or a home court advantage team, I see absolutely no reason why Tom can't have that extra sim to decide. I'm fine with not having extensions as early if it means a team isn't penalized because of what they value in a player.

Full Rebuild Mode In Progress!
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »

Wow, we are really starting to split hairs in this league. I like it!
PacersGM
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 12:30:25 AM »

what are we talking about? normally a gm has at least 2 seasons to decide if he wants to spend the money or not. 150 games aren't enough to decide but 10 more makes the difference? no way.
the only argument i can understand is that you might miss the deadline because you tried to trade the player first and after the trade deadline you have only 2 maybe 3 days to post the extension.

but imo this is part of the gm duties. you have to know your deadlines and manage your team around that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: