SSBA
May 06, 2024, 10:34:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An idea to get everybody active  (Read 10962 times)
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 09:46:33 AM »

GMs have built teams that they are, for the most part, happy with. 

Speak for yourself  Bash

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
MagicGM
Administrator
GM

ratsky1@msn.com dftlim dmx_dftlim
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 04:45:33 AM »

Anyway this is my top 10 for next sim. Let's see how many correct teams i'll earn. Very Happy

1.) Hornets
2.) Pacers
3.) Warriors
4.) Celtics
5.) Nets
6.) Bucks
7.) Grizzlies
8.) Nuggets
9.) Mavs
10.) Heat
no Magic?

GLORY DAYS!
HornetsGM
Administrator
GM

WilDvs
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 09:09:01 AM »

seems to me that the league is pretty active
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 07:46:49 PM »

Yeah.  I think that's evident by some of the great debates we've had on the HOF board.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
NetsGM
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 10:48:08 PM »

Anyway this is my top 10 for next sim. Let's see how many correct teams i'll earn. Very Happy

1.) Hornets
2.) Pacers
3.) Warriors
4.) Celtics
5.) Nets
6.) Bucks
7.) Grizzlies
8.) Nuggets
9.) Mavs
10.) Heat
no Magic?
Nets kick Celtic a$$.

Agree with Derek/Hornets. Plenty of good activity here - there are times when there's a million things on the go, the past 1/2 season for example - and it's real good, spirited stuff.
MagicGM
Administrator
GM

ratsky1@msn.com dftlim dmx_dftlim
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 05:25:11 AM »

1.) Hornets
2.) Pacers
3.) Warriors
4.) Celtics
5.) Nets
6.) Bucks
7.) Grizzlies
8.) Nuggets
9.) Mavs
10.) Heat
no Magic?
Nets kick Celtic a$$.

Agree with Derek/Hornets. Plenty of good activity here - there are times when there's a million things on the go, the past 1/2 season for example - and it's real good, spirited stuff.
come on.. if we're not talking about the magic in any list. then you're missing somethinng.. teehee..

GLORY DAYS!
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 07:16:52 AM »

He posted the only Magic that mattered, the one on the Nuggets  Moon

2023 Midwest Division Champs - Nuggets
2023 Western Conference Champs - Nuggets
2024 SSBA Champs - Nuggets
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 07:59:18 AM »

Magic stinks and will never play on a winning team.  Or so I've been told.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 09:27:51 AM »

Magic stinks and will never play on a winning team.  Or so I've been told.

Its true, no one could ever make the playoffs, let alone almost win their division, with him leading their team.

WolvesGM-old3
old-gm's
Waterboy

gravybucket@hotmail.com dumbcrap83
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »

this is definitely not a very active league at this point, and I'd guess that much of that is because they do not have any connection with the made up players.  My roster has all made up players (except for Sabonis whose ratings do not represent the true player at the age he is in the game).  Nothing is exciting because they are fake.  Early on, there is a certain amount of pride when you get KG, or DWade, or whoever because you are fans of the real player.  This also works, to a lesser degree, with realistic legends.

After 16 or 17 seasons (however many it's been), I think it's high time you just restart things.  That makes it easier to get and keep new gms.
Having sims every day or every other day also helps.

Another thing that I've seen that helps activity (and rewards it) is a more involved self-reporting point system.  For example, in one of the other leagues I was in, we could claim reward points every time a player hit certain statistical marks for a game and for a season.  We got points for a player who did the following in a single game: 10 assists, 10 rebounds, 20, 30, 40, and 50 points (different amounts), 5 steals, 5 blocks, triple doubles, and other things like that.  We got other points for players who averaged certain marks for the whole season (like 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 10 apg, 2.5 spg, 2.5 bpg, various shooting percentages and things like that).  What kept us active was that we had to look at box scores and post our points ourselves (along with links to the associated box scores).
These points could then be used to modify player contracts, ratings, etc.
If you have any questions, let me know.
WolvesGM-old3
old-gm's
Waterboy

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 03:02:49 PM »

also, though it may be more realistic as is, I think when people post trade offers in the trade blocks it keeps posts up (so people are actively posting), and keeps interest up in reading the boards.  It is always interesting what people will offer for players and how to better make counter offers.

Again, this is less realistic, but it keeps people reading the boards and posting... therefore they are more active.
I usually come on here and see that there is nothing new, so I leave.
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 03:14:53 PM »

Were you referred by KingsGM by chance?

I highly doubt all of the original guys in here are going to want to just restart things when a noob tells them to (no offence meant, but honestly...)

NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »

Again, this is less realistic, but it keeps people reading the boards and posting... therefore they are more active.

It's not a realism thing that people don't post them publicly, it's that it's putting yourself at a disadvantage.

If I go and put Barkley up on the block, and I conduct all my discussions in public, everybody knows what my best offer is, and what they have to beat.  If I'm doing it privately, nobody knows what the best offer is, and I can try to bargain them into making a better offer (and then they can call my bluff as well). 

The activity of this league, IMO, is measured through private chats.  When I PM someone, and they don't respond for days, then I start to worry.  That's the level of activity I'm looking to keep up.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
WizardsGM
GMs
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »

It should also be noted that I am in 4 leagues including this one, and the DC rate is the best in this league out of all of them.

WolvesGM-old3
old-gm's
Waterboy

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 05:06:07 PM »

Were you referred by KingsGM by chance?

I highly doubt all of the original guys in here are going to want to just restart things when a noob tells them to (no offence meant, but honestly...)

This may be true, and you certainly have the right to ignore what I say.  However, not everyone here is an old timer, and the longer the league goes, the harder it will be to find and keep noobs like me.  Slowly but surely originals drop out for various reasons, and it sure is hard to keep a good league going with 12-15 gms.
I'm a sim league vet and I've seen this same thing happen every time once a league's been going for a while.  Whenever the league is restarted, things pick up.

Lastly, someone brought up the point that many of the old timers have their teams how they like them.  What fun is that?  IMO, the fun thing with sim leagues is all of the trades and changes.  In other words, it's the journey, not the arrival.  When more people are dissatisfied with their teams, there is more trade talk, and more trades.  That, IMO, makes it more fun.
Whether we restart or not, I plan to stick around.  I just think it would revitalize the league (which, I believe, was the purpose of this topic).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: