SSBA
May 06, 2024, 03:22:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An idea to get everybody active  (Read 10964 times)
SixersGM
GMs
GM

limpatj2 crazylyf@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:18:29 AM »

My idea is to have everyone post their power rankings. Points will depend on how many teams you got it correctly. And at the end of the season, you check your own power rankings (to ease the job of the commish) and report how many GM points you made.

250GM points for all 30 teams (correct) with explanation for each.
200GM points for top 20 teams (correct) with explanation for each.
150GM points for all 30 teams without explanations.
100 Gm points for all 20 teams without explanations.

Its like a lazy way of betting for every game. This way, every GM would check the current rankings and root for what team to win and loose. They would also want to be aware of all the teams' changes and acquisition because their rankings might be affected by the change.This would also engage the GMs withing exchanging of opinions on why this team or that team was ranked higher than the other (everybody's got ego and pride). Its not an easy job to make an article and nobody wants to read an article of his own "hyped" team. This is the league's way of tempting everyone of write their own article of the teams in the league. And I think many people would do it because of the GM points.

*The rankings can be made weekly. And the rewards can be rewarded for every correct team in the ranking (i.e 10GM points for every correct team if 30 teams bet, 5 GM points for every 20 teams bet).

And if you think that the GM points is "too much", just think of it like gambling. What are the chances that everyone gets the correct combination? 

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
Philly Basketball: Never Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!
SixersGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:29:26 AM »

Another points system can be like this.

1GM points for every correct team. And the power rankings would be posted per week.

So lets say you got the 30 teams correct for the whole season, you will have 360GM points at the end of the season. This way, everyone would be active weekly. Every GM would be given their own thread. And every GM would report how many GM points he earned during that week.

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
HeatGM
GMs
GM

jerold183 jerold_99
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:56:18 AM »

how about do it weekly? if we wait until the season ends...it would be too long...

MIAMI HEAT ALL TIME GREATS LINEUP:

C:Shaquille O'neal
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Shawn Marion
SG: Bertram Shultz
PG: Harley Khoury

AIM: jerold183
YM:jerold_99
SixersGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:29:53 AM »

I think that weekly would be a better idea. Im just not sure with the point system. 1-2GM points seems to be fair.

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:03:11 AM »

I personally never liked the idea of getting GM points for articles, or anything of the sort.  I don't think you should be able to improve your team merely by writing about SSBA.  Power Rankings are better than just articles, but still suffer from the same general problem, IMO.

Besides, articles does not equal activity.  I care that people are online managing their team.  If people aren't posting on the forums, that's not my biggest concern.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
HeatGM
GMs
GM

jerold183 jerold_99
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:14:23 AM »

well...id like to read some articles...it has been quite some time since the last article Smile power ranking would spark some conversation  Very Happy it has been to silent here in SSBA

MIAMI HEAT ALL TIME GREATS LINEUP:

C:Shaquille O'neal
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Shawn Marion
SG: Bertram Shultz
PG: Harley Khoury

AIM: jerold183
YM:jerold_99
LakersGM
GMs
Ast. Coach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't be too interested in creating a lengthy article every week.

I'd much rather just continue to post DC's, check PM's and monitor team progress.
JazzGM-old
old-gm's
Coach

ixg0txgame
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 11:11:37 PM »

I'm currently dual-enrolled in a doctoral and master's program...I do what I can on this site, but if we make it too involved, me and others may be forced to drop out. Although I do not post too often, I still consider myself active. I keep up with my DC's, free agency, and the draft, and I make a trade roughly once every 2 seasons. I feel I get back to PMs in a decent time frame. If this isn't enough then let me know and I'll get out, but I enjoy being a part of this and hope to continue for some time to come.
SixersGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 01:54:59 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't be too interested in creating a lengthy article every week.

I'd much rather just continue to post DC's, check PM's and monitor team progress.

Thats why I'm suggesting being rewarded for posting a Power Ranking. Its much easier than creating an article. It's so easy, I can create one right now. Very Happy

You can create a power ranking of only top 3 teams. And if you were right next sim. You can get 3 Gm points for those 3 correct teams. Its that easy.

Its like posting DC, but in this case your not just minding your own team, but for the whole league in general. You don't have to check all the boxscores, you just have to guess. Its like gambling.

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
SixersGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 02:03:03 AM »

I'm currently dual-enrolled in a doctoral and master's program...I do what I can on this site, but if we make it too involved, me and others may be forced to drop out. Although I do not post too often, I still consider myself active. I keep up with my DC's, free agency, and the draft, and I make a trade roughly once every 2 seasons. I feel I get back to PMs in a decent time frame. If this isn't enough then let me know and I'll get out, but I enjoy being a part of this and hope to continue for some time to come.

Same here..

We and the HeatGM are currently doing our Architectural Thesis. We are so occupied. All I can do is give 5 mins of my time to check the boxscores and posting DCs. It's just sometimes when I checked in, i feel like its a ghost city here. I don't know if its because that GMs are bored with the rosters and we need to restart all over the entire league or we need some "fun" thing to do in order to make some noise.

You won't be obligated to post power ranking every sim. Its just 1-2GM points per correct team, and it would take a lot of right "betting" from the teams to left your team in GM points. Lets say we set a standard of 1GM points per correct team and a power ranking of 10 teams per sim. If you got it all correct for the entire season, you'll just win 120GM points. It's just 120 GM points. Plus, we might propel some conversations about the teams in this league.

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
SixersGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 02:06:11 AM »

I personally never liked the idea of getting GM points for articles, or anything of the sort.  I don't think you should be able to improve your team merely by writing about SSBA.  Power Rankings are better than just articles, but still suffer from the same general problem, IMO.

Besides, articles does not equal activity.  I care that people are online managing their team.  If people aren't posting on the forums, that's not my biggest concern.

Lets say we set a standard of 1GM points per correct team and a power ranking of 10 teams per sim. If you got it all correct for the entire season, you'll just win 120GM points. It's just 120 GM points. 120GM points per season won't allow you to have "God like" powers to help your roster, IMO. Its just a little incentive for being involved in the league. It's just my opinion. Anyway, I agree with you that at the end of the day, all i care about is that people are online managing their teams. So, whether you implement this idea or not, its fine for me.

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
SixersGM
GMs
GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 02:10:39 AM »

Anyway this is my top 10 for next sim. Let's see how many correct teams i'll earn. Very Happy

1.) Hornets
2.) Pacers
3.) Warriors
4.) Celtics
5.) Nets
6.) Bucks
7.) Grizzlies
8.) Nuggets
9.) Mavs
10.) Heat

2033 SSBA CHAMPIONS!
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 02:48:24 AM »

I don't think awarding GM points for activity / writing articles is a bad thing at all, bods. It keeps people's interest up, creates more fun for everybody, and just because some GMs don't like to participate doesn't mean nobody else should.

It's not like you can earn a fortune that way
(but hey, if you can get more GMpts for searching a potential, wouldn't that be fair for extra activity?)

Just one thing I don't like: a BETTING system, where you are awarded for getting results or rankings right. I'd leave it strictly for articles.

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 09:02:02 AM »

It's just sometimes when I checked in, i feel like its a ghost city here. I don't know if its because that GMs are bored with the rosters and we need to restart all over the entire league or we need some "fun" thing to do in order to make some noise.

Or neither.  It could be that people are very active, just not displaying it the way you think it should be displayed.  If people are still active, still doing what they can to improve the team, I don't think you have to either start the league over, or make noise.  I think your assessment is just off.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 09:09:49 AM »

So who decides what is the correct top 10?  Especially early in a season where uneven schedules can create havoc with won/loss records?  How do we decide tie breakers?  Why should the half dozen or so who want (or have the time) to post rankings earn extra points?

IMO the GMs here are mostly active.  Posting rankings won't get those who have limited time more involved.  In some ways all it does is create more threads for them to read in their limited time on the site.  Posting power rankings won't stimulate more trade activity.  It won't make those who miss DC deadlines to all of a sudden start posting them.  

If you want to stimulate a lot of activity then throw all the teams into a pool and reassign GMs.  Then every one will have new teams with new ideas about how to rework them.  GMs have built teams that they are, for the most part, happy with.  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: