SSBA
May 06, 2024, 09:31:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Finley  (Read 7634 times)
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 09:21:57 AM »

just want to get something clarified here for future reference. if the magic - pacers deal is to be done during the season, and finley was waived right after the deal, it would mean that pacers won't be able to sign him for a like 60 days right? does it also apply in fa, right now?

haha, that's exactly what we are talking about here.

it's not 60 days, just 24 hours, but it's valid during FA period too. you make it sound like this cut was pre-arranged in the deal, but I doubt that since Pacers know the rule as well as anybody here, so it makes no sense.

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
MagicGM
Administrator
GM

ratsky1@msn.com dftlim dmx_dftlim
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 09:36:30 AM »

nah not pre-arranged. he wasdn't even supposed to be in it. lol.

oh ok. so its just 24 hours.. I thought it was like more at least 40 days...

GLORY DAYS!
PacersGM
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 09:38:02 AM »

but in the regular season, it's "first come first serve".

in FA, all offers are put in simultaneously, so the Magic and Pacers being able to offer on the same sim Finley's been cut would deceive the intended rule.

neither pacers nor magic will be allowed to make an offer for him on day 3.
but i can´t see the point to extend that to FA day 4 also. that would be double punishment.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:59:37 AM by PacersGM » Logged
MagicGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 09:59:03 AM »

but in the regular season, it's "first come first serve".

in FA, all offers are put in simultaneously, so the Magic and Pacers being able to offer on the same sim Finley's been cut would deceive the intended rule.

neither pacers nor magic will be allowed to make an offer for him on day 3.
but i can´t see the point to extend that too FA day 4 also. that would be double punishment.
sorry to be a pain in the ass in this. i don't think you'll need him anyway. lol.. but I don't think my cutting of jim finley will cut the 24 hour restriction. coz i just posted this like 6 hours after days 2. so thats like 18 hours before Day 4..

GLORY DAYS!
MagicGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 09:59:55 AM »

what is with him anyway? the guy can't even rebound.

GLORY DAYS!
SpursGM-old
Global Moderator
GM

bbf78253
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »

IMO everyone except Pacers & Magic should be able to bid on Finley in day 3.  Pacers and Magic can bid in day 4 but neither should have bird rights so the most they can offer is MLE or available cap space.
PacersGM
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 10:06:22 AM »

i don´t care if i can get him. i just want to know how we handle the rule for this situation in the future.
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 10:17:31 AM »

i think day 4 is out of question, that's after the 24hr rule. you can offer then.
it's only day 3 we were arguing about here, since that might be simmed more than 24 hrs after the cut has been posted.

and of course, nobody has bird rights. he has been CUT and all bird rights are lost then.

PacersGM
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 10:26:09 AM »

Since we have to wait for Jim to enter the FA pool, which will not happen until after the sim is run and Jim is actually cut, I think the 24 hours should go to when the sim was run, not when the cut was posted.

if i understand bods right the 24 hours should start after FA day 3 which would make it impossible to sign him on FA day 4 also.
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »

yup, that happens when you go by written rules instead of going by what the rule is made for.
but since the decision to act like that has been made here (see under "Orlando, extending") so be it.

:shake head:

PacersGM
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 11:00:04 AM »

nope rules are clear in that case:

If a player is cut as a result of a trade, no team involved in the trade (either team who traded the cut player, team who received the player, or any other parties involved in the trade who never controlled the player) can sign that player for a period of 24 hours after the player was cut.

there is no rule that force you to wait till the next sim is done and after that the 24 hours start.
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 11:19:32 AM »

Here's the reason I don't think Pacers should be able to offer Jim Finley anything on day 3.  It has nothing to do with "going by the books".

When will Jim Finley show up in the <a href=http://rosters.ssbabasketball.com/fa/fa-pos.htm>FA List</a>?  Not when it's posted on the message board.  But after PacersGM has processed the cut in FBB, and re-uploaded the rosters.  So he won't show up on the FA list as a free agent until after day 3 has been run, so I don't think you'll get any bids on this before day 4.

In the NBA, when a player is released, there is a period where everyone in the league has a chance to claim him off waivers before he can re-sign with a team.  The rule in SSBA was put in to prevent teams for organizing a "cut and re-sign" trade.  Unfortunately the rule was put in place in the context of players being cut in season, and wasn't really designed with this happening during the offseason, and we don't really have a precedent to go on as I don't believe this has ever happened before.

In the end, the only way to really give everyone else in the league a fair shot at signing Jim Finley before Pacers and Magic do is by forcing them to wait until after day 5, since there's no guarantee Finley would accepting anything either day 3 or day 4.  So we're probably pissing in the wind no matter what decision we make here.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
PacersGM
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »

well i agree that pacers shouldn´t be allowed to make an offer on day 3. But what is if a gm is active enough to read this post and makes an offer on day 3?
are they allowed to get an advantage here?
and if it is allowed why do the pacers have to wait another day?
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »

Why are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person?

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
PacersGM
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 11:40:30 AM »

because i needed a 3rd person as an example  Laughing
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: