SSBA
May 06, 2024, 07:13:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deal or no deal  (Read 2212 times)
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« on: October 10, 2007, 06:11:29 AM »

that first line in the Raptors deal has me confused a lot
http://forums.ssbabasketball.com/index.php?topic=7221

please don't tell me it's possible someone posts a deal because I send him a PM like "Wooten/Kersey/Tucker/Raps 1st 2024 for Gminski/Gola?", which is an offer like I sent out a hundred times already. And if the reply would be "ok, post", is THAT a done deal, without getting me a chance to say yes or no ?

i NEED to know that before i go to hell one more time !

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
NetsGM
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:44:45 AM »

that first line in the Raptors deal has me confused a lot
http://forums.ssbabasketball.com/index.php?topic=7221

please don't tell me it's possible someone posts a deal because I send him a PM like "Wooten/Kersey/Tucker/Raps 1st 2024 for Gminski/Gola?", which is an offer like I sent out a hundred times already. And if the reply would be "ok, post", is THAT a done deal, without getting me a chance to say yes or no ?

i NEED to know that before i go to hell one more time !
I'm not sure what the issue is with that Tom? It wasn't the entire deliberation, if that's what you're thinking...
If it's what I think it is, he copied a piece of one PM to guide him when posting the deal - and nothing more. I always do it so I don't miss anything, and then tidy up formatting as I go on as he did. We had agreed to terms for Wooten in a seperate PM, and the trade in total via MSN and PM as well. He also made a point of asking me - which is a good process we should all have in practice right now - if we had a conditional deal. After I checked what I wanted to check, I told him yes and was locked in.
PacersGM
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:51:45 AM »

well we never will know since nets agreed. but i guess it was more a reminder for the raptors what kind of players were involved in his deal. maybe he just forgöt to delete the copy afterwards.

And yes we had this discussion before. Therefore we had the rule for an offer send in and is accepted by the other gm, it can be viewed as a deal if the first gm didn´t declare it as a proposal or soemthing like that.
If you don´t plan to use this offer but view it only as a start for a negotiation you have to make it clear in your offer.
example:
write in your offer, something like: would you do a deal if i offered you player x for player y.
If he agrees to it you still have the option to tell him yes or no.

But in general almost everyone will wait till he gets at least a pm back with "i agree" before he post a deal.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:54:28 AM by PacersGM » Logged
NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:13:11 AM »

Looks like Raptors just copy/pasted part of the discussion.

But yes, if you send out specific players, that is an offer.  An offer, by definition, can be agreed to.  If you don't want it to be an offer, specifically say that this isn't an offer, just an idea.

I feel like we're back to the first year of SSBA here.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 08:19:31 AM »

ok, glad i asked

I'm not a big fan of this "explicitly declare as proposal" rule. In my eyes every initial offer is/should be a proposal, but if it's what the league wants I have to accept it too. In reality, a deal also can be done if an offer is accepted.

and no, i never had any doubt something couldn't be right with your deal, especially since trev and Nets are veteran GMs in this business, but i'm glad I asked anyway.

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
NetsGM
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong, Tom, but weren't you on the other side of the fence during "Lenard-gate" - when you felt like my "ideas" were "concrete offers"? Not trying to be a pain, but I remember that situation abit vaguely - when I had a number of concurrent discussions going on (this is where it gets very tricky to follow up on Bods perspective of an offer being a 'deal').

NetsGM
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 09:05:09 AM »

well we never will know since nets agreed. but i guess it was more a reminder for the raptors what kind of players were involved in his deal. maybe he just forgöt to delete the copy afterwards.

And yes we had this discussion before. Therefore we had the rule for an offer send in and is accepted by the other gm, it can be viewed as a deal if the first gm didn´t declare it as a proposal or soemthing like that.
If you don´t plan to use this offer but view it only as a start for a negotiation you have to make it clear in your offer.
example:
write in your offer, something like: would you do a deal if i offered you player x for player y.
If he agrees to it you still have the option to tell him yes or no.

But in general almost everyone will wait till he gets at least a pm back with "i agree" before he post a deal.
But you do know. I described it in my post. We agreed in principle during discussion (MSN and PM) and confirmed it during PM - GM's should be taking this confirmation seriously, make it a habit of saying how firm they are one way or the other. If I'm having discussions with three teams about one player, I try to say this - and try to explicitly say that I plan on taking the best offer.
PacersGM
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 09:27:42 AM »

sorry nets my post was send in without seeing your post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: