SSBA
May 06, 2024, 11:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd rounder options  (Read 3997 times)
MagicGM
Administrator
GM

ratsky1@msn.com dftlim dmx_dftlim
View Profile
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:31:22 AM »

do we still have them?> where the 2nd rounder gets 3750000 2nd year contract?

GLORY DAYS!
PacersGM
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »

i guess we never clearly declared this rule as dead. But imo there is no reason to still alow it because of the option of buying a 3rd year. We had the rule before to prevent to loose a 2nd rounder for nothing.
MagicGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 10:56:11 AM »

i guess we never clearly declared this rule as dead. But imo there is no reason to still alow it because of the option of buying a 3rd year. We had the rule before to prevent to loose a 2nd rounder for nothing.

buying a 3rd year extension is to be able to have full bird years.. but to have the 2nd round option.. you can offer 4.5 million...

so by saying the rule is not "clearly" declared as dead, would mean I can still exercise this option, no?

GLORY DAYS!
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 03:54:15 PM »

I agree, Magic.

Taking the 3.75 mill option away means you HAVE TO buy an extension, which takes away from your ability to scout potentials or use the money otherwise. So since it hasn't been declared invalid it is still possible.

BUT ...

Since you have to announce it upon drafting ("... You must make this decision at the time you draft the player by specifying it in the PM you give me when making your selection ...") it's too late now. I know, I know, bods did allow it until the end of the draft (or even start of FA, i can't remember) but since we are playing stricly by rules now no way this will go through ...

Papa Tom's Boyz, makin da Big Wins now
(and still fighting for that ultimate - a title)
===============================
J-E-R-R-Y M-U-N-S-O-N  (soon) Calv Natt
Rick Mahorn - Marques Embry - Evan Hunt
Mark Price - Ken Sharman - Kenny Barkley
Christian Clark - da FunderWy - Joe Kleine
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 04:00:33 PM »

(in case you wonder: YES, i'm still pissed because of that bad decision to take the written word over logic)

BlazersGM
GMs
GM

50108573 maarinsito@hotmail.com MaarinX
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 04:48:15 PM »

But also, 3rd year option was allowed before at no cost, so why not now ? At least for this season, then we can make a rule about it. But 3rd year extension options should be allowed for this season !!

2019 SSBA CHAMPIONS
-----------------------------------------------
WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2015, 2019, 2030, 2031
PACIFIC DIVISION TITLE: 2017, 2019, 2024, 2030, 2031
GM Stats
SSBA Regular Season : 907-868
SSBA Playoffs : 76-68
Str8westcoasta
GMs
GM

off_da_heesey@hotmail.com Str8westcoasta
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 04:54:55 PM »

But also, 3rd year option was allowed before at no cost, so why not now ? At least for this season, then we can make a rule about it. But 3rd year extension options should be allowed for this season !!

The deadline has been missed though, surely? Don't we have to declare the option upon drafting the player... Deadlines are deadlines
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 05:47:40 PM »

what's a 3rd year option ?

you mean 2nd year option, nothing else has ever been allowed

NetsGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 08:02:50 AM »

Why would it be dead?  They're two different levels of protection, with different levels of cost.  A 2nd year option costs nothing, but guarantees only that you can spend $4.5 million to start.  buying a 3rd year costs money, but gives them full bird rights.

They accomplish different things, and have different costs.  They're not the same AT ALL.

The rule is still in the rulebooks, so you absolutely can exercise the option.  Whether or not we should remove the rule is something (IMO) we would have to bring to vote, but I think it would be wrong to remove it as a rule.

aka dabods/dbodner
dbodner@phillyarena.net
MagicGM
Administrator
GM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 08:05:50 AM »

so i guess this rule is still alive but not exercised anymore...

GLORY DAYS!
NetsGM
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 09:08:36 PM »

Good job this discussion cropped up, as I had always misinterpreted this option - probably by skimming through, rather than reading, the rules.
I thought the idea was that second rounders always got a two-year, standard-FBB deal (300+K then 400+K), with the GM having the option to ADD a third year at 3+mil if they wanted and decided it at draft time, not just an increase to the 2nd year salary. Now I get it.
Maybe a good compromise would be to allow the decision on the 2nd year value to be made up until FA starts?
Or, other leagues have some interesting options on their second round picks to make them more desirable/less of a nuisance, like allowing teams to choose a 3-year deal at draft time (1.5mil on the third year, I think), or allowing the team to drop the guy without cap penalty after TC if they don't like him. It's not a profoundly big deal either way since most teams always have a few roster spots and some hard cap space kicking around, but with most teams not seeming to care for second rounders maybe it's something worth opening up for discussion.
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 01:37:28 AM »

i think the 3.75 mill option for the 2nd year is a fair one. A third (cheap) year would benefit a team way too much and make 2nd rounders never really enter fA (since his team can max him out already)

and I would like to see the option for the 2nd year possible until FA starts. Remember, in the NBA you don't draft salaries, you draft RIGHTS ... and have to negotiate salaries first.

But dropping 2nd rounders for cap reasons ??? If you have cap problems because of 465k you probably grossly overpaid some stiff ... no need to support this even more. If you don't like a 2nd round pick on your roster you can always trade the pick, and we've developped a nice market for that recently (just imagine the consequences: nobody would deal a 2nd round pick anymore, benefitting another team, just drop the drafted guy)

NetsGM
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 06:02:05 AM »

i think the 3.75 mill option for the 2nd year is a fair one. A third (cheap) year would benefit a team way too much and make 2nd rounders never really enter fA (since his team can max him out already)

and I would like to see the option for the 2nd year possible until FA starts. Remember, in the NBA you don't draft salaries, you draft RIGHTS ... and have to negotiate salaries first.

But dropping 2nd rounders for cap reasons ??? If you have cap problems because of 465k you probably grossly overpaid some stiff ... no need to support this even more. If you don't like a 2nd round pick on your roster you can always trade the pick, and we've developped a nice market for that recently (just imagine the consequences: nobody would deal a 2nd round pick anymore, benefitting another team, just drop the drafted guy)
The issue isn't really their cost, it is moreso that they are a nuisance sometimes. And by "without cap penalty" I mean their nuisance salary does not count against the cap is all.
KingsGM-old
old-gm's
GM

Jebacu vam majku ak mi ne donesete naslov

ZLOVRO
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 06:45:53 AM »

The absence of 2nd year option for 2nd rn picks would be a disaster for Boston Celtics franchise.

The Great ZLOVRO And The Local Whores:

Sleepy Floyd
Byron Scott
Andrew Toney
Orlando Woolridge
Tom Chambers
Thurl Bailey
Joe Carrol
Benoit Benjamin

"We don't defend, aren't great in scoring but boy can we turn over the ball"
CelticsGM
Administrator
GM

atom2030 tomp22000
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 07:41:01 AM »

... who hasn't used that option for around the last 5 seasons.

But once again, not counting a salary against the cap is always possible: buy out the contract. It would give an unfair advantage to teams just being able to drop salaries if they don't like a guy they get.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: